Chick’s eye

Redchels

Songster
May 2, 2020
Texas
Is something wrong with this chicks eye? It’s about 5 days old. Seems droopy and watery. I have inside in a brooder with a heat plate. With pine shavings.

Attachments

• AFE40D18-769E-4DBC-831E-191D4ED37D68.jpeg
    AFE40D18-769E-4DBC-831E-191D4ED37D68.jpeg
    190.6 KB · Views: 22
Honestly I’m not sure if it was this way at birth or a day later. I kept in the incubator for at least 24 hrs

Is the watery discharge thin like tears? Or is it a bit thicker and mucous-y?

I have a chick in a similar situation. I think I read somewhere that chicks shouldn't be getting respiratory infections at such an early stage. I have no idea why they wouldn't, but I started with flushing my chick's eye with saline. This hasn't made much difference, but it might be helpful for your chick.

I believe Vetericyn Plus® Antimicrobial Ophthalmic Gel is available in your country and could also be helpful. Its not available where I am so I haven't tried it.

I imagine if either option doesn't show improvement, then the next step would be an antibiotic ointment of some description. I have no idea what is available in the US, but there doesn't seem to be anything similar available in Australia that I could recommend either.

Is the watery discharge thin like tears? Or is it a bit thicker and mucous-y?

I have a chick in a similar situation. I think I read somewhere that chicks shouldn't be getting respiratory infections at such an early stage. I have no idea why they wouldn't, but I started with flushing my chick's eye with saline. This hasn't made much difference, but it might be helpful for your chick.

I believe Vetericyn Plus® Antimicrobial Ophthalmic Gel is available in your country and could also be helpful. Its not available where I am so I haven't tried it.

I imagine if either option doesn't show improvement, then the next step would be an antibiotic ointment of some description. I have no idea what is available in the US, but there doesn't seem to be anything similar available in Australia that I could recommend either.

It doesn’t appear to be a discharge or excessive tear bc it’s not really draining from what I can see. I’m using terramycin ophthalmic ointment for now. 🤷🏻‍♀️ Not sure where you are located but have you searched eBay for some items you can’t get locally?

eBay? I never considered that! I assumed that if it wasn't for sale here then it wouldn't be allowed into the country. Also, postage from the US and import fees can often be more expensive then the products themselves.

Thank you for that idea, though. I will look into the eBay option!

I had read that a few people who are not in the US seeking conjunctivitis medications from a pharmacy. I guess it works, but I would have to speak to a pharmacist to get it and I am wholly uncomfortable with lying (and I suspect "I need it for my chickens" may not have the desired outcome of being given the medication!).

Back
Top Bottom