Chick acting weard

chick56

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 22, 2014
I got a chick which is almost 2.5 months old and today when i open the chick she was just fine eating,drinking and walking as normal but a while later she started to shout when i came to saw her she was shouting,scratching her head badly, opened her mouth and shivering. i think she ate something that has caused her to do this since she had opened her mouth. i have offered her some food and water but she is not eating and drinking. now she is closing her eyes . don't know what happened to her NEED URGENT ADVICE PLEASE.............sorry for my english

Last edited:
Alright first
welcome-byc.gif
great to have you joining the BYC flock
frow.gif

BYC has a very useful learning center
caf.gif

For your English well you are doing just fine so what is your native language and what part of the world do you hale from ????

Do you have any Apple Cider Vinegar just a gulp or two into a gallon of water or one gulp into a litter of water .......

Do you have any egg's you could provide for you chick ???

A hard boiled egg remove shell mash up really good and serve to you chick and let the others have some afterwards ......

Welcome to BYC. When a 9 week old chick appears sick and won't eat, I would consider coccidiosis as a possible cause. The head scratching sometimes is normal when feathers are growing in, but also could be an ear infection possibly from mites or a respiratory infection. Look for any signs of watery eyes, nasal drainage, and you can check for ear mites with a QTip. The symptoms of coccidiosis are sleepiness, puffing up or hunching, ruffled feathers, not eating, and diarrhea (sometimes with blood.) Treatment is Corid (amprollium) for 5 days. Here is a link about it: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/12/coccidiosis-what-backyard-chicken.html

thanks for replying both
@gander007 : I am from Pakistan and i usually speak urdu as our national language...........well now the chick has settled down acting as normal and I have given her apple cider vinegar and a boiled egg but still she is opening her mouth like something is stuck in her neck..............i just hope she gets fine

@Eggcessive : i have been observing her regularly , i don't think she is suffering from coccidiosis but i am still looking for ear infection

Last edited:
Well then you are doing just great in your writing then ......

What is the temperature there Hot or Cold right now ????

I ask as the chick should be kept warm as with any living animal when one is sick it is harder them to regulate their own body's core temperature .....

It is nice to be reading your chick is doing a bit better so please keep us updated .....

@gander007 : here is hot temperature and now i am also giving her hot air from my hair dryer (work best for providing heat whenever any of my chick get sick)................i have made a few searches and i concluded that my chick may have an ear infection but i am not sure. your apple cider vinegar and mashed boil egg worked atleast she has now started to eat THANKS FOR THAT

Is there any sneezing or drainage from the eyes or nostrils that would support a respiratory disease? Chicks with coccidiosis may seem weak and chilled. They Eventually they may stop eating, and later, drinking. Treatment is amprollium, totrazuril, sulfadimethoxine, or sulfamethazine. In Pakistan there may be other medicines for treatment, but those are the more common ones around the world.

@gander007 : here is hot temperature and now i am also giving her hot air from my hair dryer (work best for providing heat whenever any of my chick get sick)................i have made a few searches and i concluded that my chick may have an ear infection but i am not sure. your apple cider vinegar and mashed boil egg worked atleast she has now started to eat THANKS FOR THAT

Sounds great, it was something my Gran-pa showed me many years ago ...

When your chick gets a little better you might want to get some Duramycin and treat for a minimum of 5 day's just to make sure everything is in good working order ... And keep up the hard boiled egg's till you get ready to serve the Duramycin up in the water
smile.png

@Eggcessive : Well i see no drainage from eyes or nose................she is little weak and chilled thats why i am giving her heat from my hair dryer but she is now eating and drinking fine (although little less than she eats every day )

@gander007 : i may continue with the boiled egg because here in Pakistan there are only limited number of animal medicines (only for dogs,cats,goats,cows and sheeps) and very few vet ( also only for dogs,cats,goats,cows and sheeps) means i will not be able to find Duramycin here

Duramycin (tetracycline) is an antibiotic used for treatment of respiratory and some intestinal diseases, so I would not use it if there are no respiratory symptoms. Chick56, the medicines we use to treat coccidiosis are the ones farmers treat cattle for scours, so possibly they sell them if you have stores that sell cattle supplies. If you see any blood in the poop or the chick stops eating and looks hunched, then I would recommend treatment for cocci. Hopefully the chick is acting better now.

Back
Top Bottom