Chick born with unabsorbed yolk - Cause?

chickengoesmeow

Songster
Feb 5, 2021
I had a chick hatch yesterday with the most severe cause of an unabsorbed yolk I have ever seen. Calling it an unabsorbed yolk is almost downplaying it. Along with the yolk, there was a good chunk of intestines hanging out. I ended up euthanizing the chick shortly after it hatched. To be honest, I'm surprised it made it to the point of hatching without somehow puncturing the yolk. The best way I can describe it is the day 18 in this picture, but the chick seemed fully developed besides the yolk.

I've heard of partially absorbed yolk caused by fluctuating temps, but this almost seemed like a case of premature hatching. The chick did pip outside of the air sac (Not on the narrow end, but on the side of the wide end where there was no air sac), but it was able to zip and push itself out with no issue. None of the other eggs had any problems, this was my most succesful hatch yet if you don't count this chick. The temp was 100.5 for the first 18 days with a humidity of 30-35%, then I dropped it to 99.5 during lockdown and raised to humidity to 70-75%. All of the chicks hatched on day 21, no stragglers.

Was this just a freak incident or could it have been caused by incubation conditions? Did it have anything to do with the fact the chick pipped in the wrong spot? I haven't seen anything like this before. It's sitting in my freezer right now so I can take some pics later.

According to Hubbard's "Incubation Guide," here, https://www.hubbardbreeders.com/media/incubation_guideen__053407700_1525_26062017.pdf --- scroll down to page 52:

For embryos or chicks with these symptoms:
"Non pipped eggs, embryos completely formed, excessive residual yolk, a part of the yolk is not completely absorbed, presence of albumen:" .......

The possible causes are:
"• Inadequate turning
• Humidity too high during incubation or after transfer
• Insufficient temperature during incubation
• Hatcher temperature too high
• Eggs cooled during transfer
• Nutritional deficiencies
• Health problems
• Inadequate ventilation
• Prolonged storage"

According to Hubbard's "Incubation Guide," here, https://www.hubbardbreeders.com/media/incubation_guideen__053407700_1525_26062017.pdf --- scroll down to page 52:

For embryos or chicks with these symptoms:
"Non pipped eggs, embryos completely formed, excessive residual yolk, a part of the yolk is not completely absorbed, presence of albumen:" .......

The possible causes are:
"• Inadequate turning
• Humidity too high during incubation or after transfer
• Insufficient temperature during incubation
• Hatcher temperature too high
• Eggs cooled during transfer
• Nutritional deficiencies
• Health problems
• Inadequate ventilation
• Prolonged storage"
My best guess, based on Hubbard's info and the fact that all of your other chicks were just fine............ is that there was a nutritional deficiency in whichever hen laid that egg. Which nutrient? I haven't a clue.
More inclusive on that list is "Health problems". I too am surprised that the chick managed to hatch on its own. Usually such a chick can't escape its shell and so an assisted hatch is performed, only to realize the chick is doomed. It's sad to know your chick was fully formed, strong enough to unzip and hatch, and yet would not have survived for very long after it hatched.

My best guess, based on Hubbard's info and the fact that all of your other chicks were just fine............ is that there was a nutritional deficiency in whichever hen laid that egg. Which nutrient? I haven't a clue.
More inclusive on that list is "Health problems". I too am surprised that the chick managed to hatch on its own. Usually such a chick can't escape its shell and so an assisted hatch is performed, only to realize the chick is doomed. It's sad to know your chick was fully formed, strong enough to unzip and hatch, and yet would not have survived for very long after it hatched.
That makes sense. I've got no idea who laid the egg, but hopefully whichever hen is having issues can fix herself before the next hatch.

The chick was way stronger than I would expect in this situation. It acted like every other chick that hatched, and if anything it was more active than the others. I had to hold it still as I was moving it because it was kicking so much. So sad that nothing could be done, but I just hope it wasn't in pain.

Back
Top Bottom