Chick born without eyes :(

5770amber

Chirping
Jul 21, 2015
After hatching about 100 chicks we just hatched our first chick with issues. It was born without eyes. Is there any hope for this baby?

Sometimes birds can survive completely blind; it all depends on them being capable of finding feed and water. That said, oftentimes when something so drastic occurs externally, there are internal repercussions as well, so be prepared to potentially lose it due to issues you cannot see.

I'd suggest trying to guide it to the feed and water, teach it where and how to get to them, and see if it is capable of eating and drinking on its own.

It just hatched and still in the hatcher but I can definitely tell it doesn't have eyes. I'm afraid it's going to be pecked to death. Won't the others pick on it? I'm patiently waiting for it to dry so I can check it out better.

I doubt they will pick on it purposely but as they begin to walk, trampling or crushing may occur since it cannot really see to get out of the way of the others. It may be best to separate it from the others once it has dried.

Poor baby!

She looks normal and healthy just missing her poor eyes. She is snuggly and keeps rubbing her head between my fingers. She is really sweet.

Back
Top Bottom