Chick breathing hard? What should I do? :\

Liza728w

Songster
Jul 22, 2020
Southern Ohio
My serama chick is breathing hard and fast. I think she's been doing this ever since she was born about a week ago - but today seems like it's more labored. Any idea what's wrong with her? What should I do for her?

I put some poultry cell in her water. Poops from her and her siblings are normal - no blood and they are a good consistency. She is at a great weight, but I noticed two other chicks are way too skinny for some reason. All have access to water that is changed 2x daily and yummy chick starter.

Any ideas?

I just checked. Looks like Linn County and Pacific County so far.
WASHINGTON, D.C., May 6, 2022 – The United States Department of Agriculture’s (USDA) Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) has confirmed the presence of highly pathogenic avian influenza (HPAI) in a non-commercial, backyard flock (non-poultry) in Linn County, Oregon and a non-commercial backyard flock (poultry) in Pacific County, Washington.

My serama chick is breathing hard and fast. I think she's been doing this ever since she was born about a week ago - but today seems like it's more labored. Any idea what's wrong with her? What should I do for her?

I put some poultry cell in her water. Poops from her and her siblings are normal - no blood and they are a good consistency. She is at a great weight, but I noticed two other chicks are way too skinny for some reason. All have access to water that is changed 2x daily and yummy chick starter.

Any ideas?
what is the temp in the brooder? Can she escape the heat? Sounds like she may be too warm.
How ventilated is your brooder?

This sounds like respiratory difficulty. How's your area for Avian Influenza?
I feel like avian influenza is the go to response for anything respiratory these days, people are pretty on edge about it- but I dont think we can immediately jump to that without ruling out a lot of more common causes first.

what is the temp in the brooder? Can she escape the heat? Sounds like she may be too warm.
How ventilated is your brooder?
95 on one side, room temp on the other! I'll lower the heat to 90 sometime today or tomorrow since she just turned 1 week old. Yep, she can escape the heat whenever she wants. Brooder is extremely well ventilated. I take her out sometimes to spend some time with her, and she still has labored breathing even if she's out of heat and with me for 15mins. None of the other chicks have issues except for a few that are pretty skinny. :/

95 on one side, room temp on the other! I'll lower the heat to 90 sometime today or tomorrow since she just turned 1 week old. Yep, she can escape the heat whenever she wants. Brooder is extremely well ventilated. I take her out sometimes to spend some time with her, and she still has labored breathing even if she's out of heat and with me for 15mins. None of the other chicks have issues except for a few that are pretty skinny. :/
hmm... What bedding are they on? How many are there, and how many feed and water stations are there?

Paper towels! I have 2 seramas and 4 silkies. 1 big food station and 2 water stations. I'm trying to rack my brain and figure out what might be going on. It's kind of odd. 🤔
it is, you may have already said this-- so forgive me if I missed it-- Did you hatch these babies or buy them? Were they shipped, or collected?

Back
Top Bottom