Chick breathing question.

TripMomma

Chirping
Jan 27, 2015
Oregon
Boy, I have only been a member here a short while...only been a chick mom for about 4 days, and I feel like I have been here asking a ton of questions...sorry LOL.

I have 1 of my 4 chicks that seems to breathe a little faster than the others...just curious if I should be worried. Doesn't seem labored, and no gasping...just a touch more rapid that the others.

They are all eating and drinking fine. I have someone in there with thicker runny green poop...almost a little frothy, but I saw the one that breathes a little faster go and it doesn't appear to be that one. They are on paper towels, they have electrolytes and probiotics in their water. They don't seem hot or cold. Hatch date was 1/27.

This is nerve racking stuff LOL, when are babies considered "out of the woods" and more likely than not to make it...if they are ever considered out of the woods I guess.

I know how easy it is to be a nervous mommy! But it is normal for each of them to have different respiration rates. As long as this chick is not gasping for air and only breathing a bit faster than the others, is eating, drinking and keeping up with the others, there isn't anything to worry about.

Enjoy your babies!! :)

So I was just watching chick TV :) and noticed my rapid breather has more body movement with her breaths. I decided to pick them up once by one and hold them close to my ear for a listen. Three are quiet, but my rapid breather does have a faint pop or click sound with every breath. If this is something going on are there any OTC or natural remedies that work?

So I was just watching chick TV :) and noticed my rapid breather has more body movement with her breaths. I decided to pick them up once by one and hold them close to my ear for a listen. Three are quiet, but my rapid breather does have a faint pop or click sound with every breath. If this is something going on are there any OTC or natural remedies that work?
Not to scare you or anything, but clicking when breathing can be a heart valve or some issue with one of the lung sacs. Recently one of my nearly 4 year old hens turned up one day with very rapid breathing and clicking as she breathed. She did pass on 5 months later from heart failure.

BUT...chicks are still growing and developing and they can out grow all kinds of things. So as long as she is still living a normal life of eating well, drinking well and keeping up with the others, I wouldn't worry too much about it. When she no longer is living a quality life, at that point you might consider putting her down.

For now, just enjoy her and give her all the lovin'!

Clicking/popping can also be a sign that the chick has aspirated fluid (probably water). Unfortunately, that sound is never a good sign.

Clicking/popping can also be a sign that the chick has aspirated fluid (probably water). Unfortunately, that sound is never a good sign.
The click is very faint. Aspiration could make sense since nothing else seems to be wrong with her (no eye or nose discharge) and she is still eating and drinking. Also the three other chicks that she has been with the whole time are not showing any signs at all.

Is there anything that can help her, or is she not going to make it?

There isn't anything you can do about it. I can't say whether or not she'll make it, but every chick I've had that has made that noise hasn't, and it was my fault they aspirated every time, I guess from not taking my time dipping their beaks in the drinker when I've first gotten them :/

Back
Top Bottom