Chick can't move its leg

Lady Chickadee

Rocky Top Silkies
8 Years
Apr 1, 2011
Central Kentucky
I have a d'Uccle chick that's 8 weeks old and can't move its leg. It can stand and walk but that leg doesn't move (just kind of drags it). She is eating and drinking and doesn't appear to be in any pain. The leg moves easily when I move it and is not stiff. The chick has gotten turned on it's back though and is unable to get turned upright without help. This just started about one and half weeks ago. Any ideas?

I have a d'Uccle chick that's 8 weeks old and can't move its leg. It can stand and walk but that leg doesn't move (just kind of drags it). She is eating and drinking and doesn't appear to be in any pain. The leg moves easily when I move it and is not stiff. The chick has gotten turned on it's back though and is unable to get turned upright without help. This just started about one and half weeks ago. Any ideas?

I have one that has done the same thing. I found it like that yesterday and now today it is both legs. It really scares me. I put a post another place and someone told me it was mereks but it can eat and is not lethargic. I don't know what to do either. I had another do this over a month ago but was decided he had a heat stroke and paralysis set in. I finally put him down. Please let me know if you find out anything. Thanks

I have one that has done the same thing. I found it like that yesterday and now today it is both legs. It really scares me. I put a post another place and someone told me it was mereks but it can eat and is not lethargic. I don't know what to do either. I had another do this over a month ago but was decided he had a heat stroke and paralysis set in. I finally put him down. Please let me know if you find out anything. Thanks
Okay, I will. I had a couple chicks with feet deformities for some reason with this hatch. I think it might be an incubator issue even though I checked the temperature and humidity throughout incubation and everything was good. Its just weird that I'm having feet deformities and a leg issue with this hatch and haven't had any problems with my other hatches.

I had a problem with my chicken as well. In fact, the one shown in my avatar. Chunk was fine while I was working the coop then when I came back, a rooster had just hopped off her, he back was gouged to a pulp and she could not move. It was like she she had suffered a stroke or something. For a couple of months, she lived in a tote in my house, she could barely lift her head and could not use 1 leg. She would however, still be able to eat.
Then one day, I dropped a bit of organic unrefined coconut oil into her water (it was just scrap) and her situation improved dramatically. it was just a small piece of coconut oil but her condition improved so much. She stayed in the house for another 1.5 months and she's now back in the coop. She's still tentative on the leg but she hops around well and is able to hold her own well.
I'm no vet and my story is anecdotal but the coconut oil might be worth a try.
There are many kinds but the kind I used is supposed to be the best kind which is organic unrefined.
You should be able to get it at health food stores, amazon etc. You can use extras for cooking and as a skin moisturizer. Let me know what happens! I'm curious if it really helps because I had no control test!

I had a problem with my chicken as well. In fact, the one shown in my avatar. Chunk was fine while I was working the coop then when I came back, a rooster had just hopped off her, he back was gouged to a pulp and she could not move. It was like she she had suffered a stroke or something. For a couple of months, she lived in a tote in my house, she could barely lift her head and could not use 1 leg. She would however, still be able to eat.
Then one day, I dropped a bit of organic unrefined coconut oil into her water (it was just scrap) and her situation improved dramatically. it was just a small piece of coconut oil but her condition improved so much. She stayed in the house for another 1.5 months and she's now back in the coop. She's still tentative on the leg but she hops around well and is able to hold her own well.
I'm no vet and my story is anecdotal but the coconut oil might be worth a try.
There are many kinds but the kind I used is supposed to be the best kind which is organic unrefined.
You should be able to get it at health food stores, amazon etc. You can use extras for cooking and as a skin moisturizer. Let me know what happens! I'm curious if it really helps because I had no control test!
Thanks! I'm going to try it tomorrow when I'm able to go get some.

The more I think about it and read I really think mine is either Botulism or mereks. I am just sick over this. It is only happening to my D'Uccles who are around 3-5 months old and 1 polish chick around 2 mo. old. I just don't know what to do.

The more I think about it and read I really think mine is either Botulism or mereks. I am just sick over this. It is only happening to my D'Uccles who are around 3-5 months old and 1 polish chick around 2 mo. old. I just don't know what to do.
I hope your able to fix your chicks
hugs.gif
. It has only happened to one of my chicks so far, hopefully it won't happen to anymore. I think it might have been a deformity since I had a couple feet deformities this hatch for some reason. If not it might have also broke it somehow. The first time I noticed it was messed up was when I checked on them and it was on its back and the others were stepping on it. Of course I've separated it now, but maybe one of the others stepped on its leg and broke it somehow. I would think it would be in pain though if it was broke. I've been reading about amputation if I can't fix it and if she gets to the point where she can't eat/drink.

Back
Top Bottom