chick can't walk

hillbilly37074

Hatching
11 Years
Dec 15, 2008
Lebanon
friday my hen hatched off 8 little game chicks ones legs stick out to the front or back but it gets around...i might give it some phyisical thearpy tomorrow as a break from my bee hives

Try searching for splay leg or splayed leg.. If you dont know where the serach is its in the blue box at thetop of the page just click on search and see what happens.. Sorry i havent had this but many on here have.

Straddle Leg
Straddle leg is when the legs of a chick get splayed out. This is usually caused by keeping them on newspaper or another slippery surface. Kitchen paper is a good alternative. This sometimes also occurs because of the chick struggling to get around if it has a severe number of crooked toes. In this case both treatments should be carried out at

Treatment can be done with a hobble brace. It is made of the same kind of plaster tape as the chick shoes above. It must be wide enough to allow the chick to walk, and low enough that it doesn't stick to it's fluffy down when it sits down. Leave this hobble brace on for a 24 hours and then remove. If there is still a problem, put it back on and check again in 24 hours. Do this for as long as necessary, and give the chick special attention to make sure that it eats and drinks properly.

http://www.freewebs.com/professorchickensdiseases/deformities.htm

oh i have them on a slick surface, alubond. i took the little one out and put the splints on their legs best if you hold them upside down by their feet while appling duct tape, then i put it back in the brooder mother and all the syblings attacked but it did stand up right. i jerked it out and took the tape off and the hen likes to peck me so as i hold my hand in front of her beak i slipped it back into the pack and they got along find. i think the next time i try something like that i'll tape all of them up
thanks for the advice

Duct tape? I hope you didnt put duct tape on a chick!
Folks are using bandaids
they come off easier
good luck!

Back
Top Bottom