Chick color possibilities with BBS genetics

Kenncarr

Chirping
Sep 23, 2020
I’ve been breeding a Black Silverudds Rooster over a few of my Cream Legbar hens. Over the last few months this has produced Black sex-linked chicks which is what I would have expected. Recently I gave a few of the eggs to a broody hen. The chicks hatched today and all appear Blue….I haven’t been able to get close enough to see if any have head spots, but I am just so confused. Silverudds are a Blue, Black, Splash breed, but I was under the impression a Black rooster would only produce black chicks with the Legbar. Is this actually possible?

I’ve been breeding a Black Silverudds Rooster over a few of my Cream Legbar hens. Over the last few months this has produced Black sex-linked chicks which is what I would have expected. Recently I gave a few of the eggs to a broody hen. The chicks hatched today and all appear Blue….I haven’t been able to get close enough to see if any have head spots, but I am just so confused. Silverudds are a Blue, Black, Splash breed, but I was under the impression a Black rooster would only produce black chicks with the Legbar. Is this actually possible?
Do you have pictures of the parents and updated pictures of the chicks?

Back
Top Bottom