Chick died in pip

Pics

mamatoes

Songster
5 Years
Feb 29, 2016
Ontario
First time Hatcher. I have 2 proper little pips (just the first crack) and I have one chick that actually popped out and then died. It’s slimy and bubbly looking and hasn’t moved in over 10 hours. Do I leave it in there or remove????

it’s so so hard to get a good photo of it!!

I’m like 95% sure it’s dead

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    279.8 KB · Views: 25
Shoot. Ya I was worried about this. I kept it around 50 and then it’s up to 73 ish now. I didn’t have sponges in there until lock down.
Blah. I don’t know if I like hatching. I feel so responsible for these little guys.

Do I remain hopeful for the cheeping I hear now? I have 26 left that may be viable

It's up to you. To me it's like throwing water on someone in the swimming pool - they are already as wet as they can be. I'd take out the sponges, take out any shells and take out any dead birds. you could fill the one small water reservoir in the middle and then shut the lid. That's what I'd do, its up to you. Write down everything you've done to record it all. Then next time do something different, until you've figured out what works best for you. In your climate, with your incubator. Happy Hatching! :jumpy

Don’t I risk shrink wrapping any other pipped eggs?
No, opening it to take out the deceased one will not cause the others to shrinkwrap.
mans remove the sponges?! I thought I needed high humidity! Uh my goodness such a nervous wreck over here!
:hugs Try to relax and don't be too hard on yourself. What is your humidity without the sponges?

No, opening it to take out the deceased one will not cause the others to shrinkwrap.

:hugs Try to relax and don't be too hard on yourself. What is your humidity without the sponges?
Ha I’m trying to relax it’s NOT POSSIBLE!

I haven’t touched anything as there’s like 9 with pip holes now and everything I read says “DONT TOUCH”

it’s odd. Temp is drastically dropping. It humidity raising. I’ve opened the vents to get humidity down more but it seems super inconsistent! I didn’t have this problem during incubation

I read humidity spike is normal during hatch but the drop seems odd no?
I’ll breathe easy when I start seeing little ones hobbling around in there!

Back
Top Bottom