Chick eye issue

eatwhatyougrow

Songster
9 Years
Dec 30, 2013
New chick just two days old....
KIMG0801.JPG
Has this eye issue. Any ideas? I tried to wash it but it doesn't seem like it opened. Other eye is okay. Seems to be eating well and other chicks are not picking at it...but wondering about that swollen area under the eye? Any ideas...

Oh, that doesn't look good... I'm so sorry to say that I've never seen anything like that. Hopefully the experts will come along soon, and that your chick will get better!:fl
@Wyorp Rock

@granny hatchet have you ever seen this?

It's hard to know what that is in a newly hatched chick, I would guess eye infection. Try to get it open gently to see if there is an eyeball in there (hard to do with such a tiny baby).
General eye care would be to flush with saline or sterile water to get out any debris or pus, then apply an ophthalmic ointment like Terramycin or Vetericyn eye gel.

I wouldnt think infection and its just 2 days old . It wouldnt puff up that quickly. However if it is from a mama hatch she could of pecked it hard enough to cause that much swelling. Note the bruise/bleed under the nare.
Use 2 fingers to spread the eye socket open and use some flush and then the terramycin ointment as Wyorp suggests.
Only other thing would be a deformity and I dont think thats it but either way, treatment is the same and if you find the chick might be blind no worrys. They do great !
Congrats on the littles

was it hatched under a hen ?
No it was hatched in an incubator which is why I was leaning towards some.kinda deformity I can't seem to get it to open up. I tried softening it up with some saline solution. Just kinda concerned that maybe the bubble underneath where the eye should be is someone fluid build up ...just not sure. And I don't want to kill the little thing either. I am okay if it only has one eye just wanted to help it if I could. I left some antibiotic ointment on it to keep softening and keep from infection I will check it again...so not sure about the brusing that you noticed either...

Back
Top Bottom