Chick failing to thrive

Thanks for sharing, I’ve also got a small lethargic chick. Last to hatch, spraddle legs but I used the bandaid shackles for support and that’s worked out, just doesn’t go for the food much so I’m also feeding with a small syringe as others have posted. Anything else to add to the feed/warm water/ electrolyte mix? I don’t see improvement

Thanks for sharing, I’ve also got a small lethargic chick. Last to hatch, spraddle legs but I used the bandaid shackles for support and that’s worked out, just doesn’t go for the food much so I’m also feeding with a small syringe as others have posted. Anything else to add to the feed/warm water/ electrolyte mix? I don’t see improvement
The problematic ones sometimes make it but sometimes don't. I've seen alot of problems with late hatchers. Did you try scrambling some egg yolk? I was syringe feeding too, and omce she startded eating mash from my hand I thought she was gonna get better, she's a fighter, but something is just wrong, and she's breathing fast now, so I assume she'll die today.

Your brooder is much too small. And looks like the heat lamp is pointed straight at it, heating the whole thing. They need enough space to both warm up AND cool off. Overheating will kill much quicker than chilling will. Only one small area should be warmed, the rest of the brooder should be room temp. Food and water should be placed away from the heat.

It's only 100 watt because it is small. They come up and go away. The thermomoter is 97 right where it's pointed and I have attatched chicken wire giving them an extra half a foot to come out and roam.

Your brooder is much too small. And looks like the heat lamp is pointed straight at it, heating the whole thing. They need enough space to both warm up AND cool off. Overheating will kill much quicker than chilling will. Only one small area should be warmed, the rest of the brooder should be room temp. Food and water should be placed away from the heat.

Attachments

• 1521818171550221799807.jpg
    1521818171550221799807.jpg
    538 KB · Views: 12
NUTRIDRENCH. One drop in the mouth asap for your lethargic chick. Available at Tractor supply. Always have this in your medicine kit.
Have you checked her vent for blockage?
Is her crop hard? Squishy? Any odor from her mouth?

NUTRIDRENCH. One drop in the mouth asap for your lethargic chick. Available at Tractor supply. Always have this in your medicine kit.
Apparently nobody has it, one place has some for goats?

Back
Top Bottom