Chick food and adult food

Bejep714

Songster
Feb 2, 2021
South East PA
Were introducing 7 week old chicks to the flock, but I'm not sure how to feed both because both old and young chickens have access to food. Right now were going to take out the layer feed the others use and put just chick food. I know that's not the best for older chickens but it is just something that we need to do until I find out what the right thing to do. How do you feed both chicks and adults at the same time? Thanks

Some people use 18% or 20% Chick Starter. I use 16% protein Grower when the chicks get a little older (after the 1st month) though many people stick with a higher protein level. Many people use something called All-Flock or Flock-Raiser if available, a 20% protein feed the entire time. A lot depends on what is available to you.

at 7 weeks theyre ready to get out in the yard and find something, just dont duck under the electric wire and come up by the door and walkway or they get to meet 'mr broom' ... everybody meets mr broom at least once, usually all it takes lol .. but yeah, at 7 weeks theyll still need crumbles but layer is fine, mixed with scratch although these days theyve added gold to the scratch so its really not a cost savings ..

I know how you feel , I couldn't wait to feed grown up feed to my chicks. In my newbie ignorance they need that protein to grow good bones and organs. Then we add things to layer feed (only 16% protein ) to give them enough protein so they keep laying eggs?! 😊. When I got my second batch of chicks I gave all of them "all flock" 18% food with oyster shell on the side. Now that they're a year old I still have a feeder with all flock, and another with layer feed in it. I know that might not be feasible but the point is that starter feed or all flock is just fine for all. Some on here only feed that with nothing else as feed and hens do fine.
One other lesson I've learned my hens eat oyster shell better off the ground,?! then out of feeders I put into pen in the beginning. Crazy girls.
Anyway keep up chick feed you're fine. Happy Easter.

at 7 weeks theyre ready to get out in the yard and find something, just dont duck under the electric wire and come up by the door and walkway or they get to meet 'mr broom' ... everybody meets mr broom at least once, usually all it takes lol .. but yeah, at 7 weeks theyll still need crumbles but layer is fine, mixed with scratch although these days theyve added gold to the scratch so its really not a cost savings ..
Layer really shouldn't be feed to nonlaying birds, too high in calcium and it has too little protein for growing birds. Also scratch shouldn't be mixed in the feed or they'll just pick it out. :]

So what I've done is put the chick food outside with some oyster shells because the chicks spend all day outside, and put adult layer in the coop for the adults who go in and lay eggs. I feel like that's working out but I found poop in the coop this morning and I'm pretty sure it was from a chick and I'll attach a picture. There were 2 that looked like it. Is this an issue and is it caused by food?
20230416_075720.jpg

Back
Top Bottom