Chick gasping for air

Crop feels normal. Doesn’t seem like she’s eaten much today.
She started acting like this in the morning, it’s evening now.
I’m thinking she has some sort of respiratory illness?

She is really gasping and struggling to breathe, poor thing. I agree with checking her airway with a torch (flashlight) and look for any mucus or yellowish spots or patches. Have you had any older birds with a respiratory infection in the past? Has there been any mold or dust in her environment?
She might benefit from an antibiotic from a vet if possible. If there is dust or mold or a wet brooder, remove her from that and get her into a clean dry area.

She is really gasping and struggling to breathe, poor thing. I agree with checking her airway with a torch (flashlight) and look for any mucus or yellowish spots or patches. Have you had any older birds with a respiratory infection in the past? Has there been any mold or dust in her environment?
She might benefit from an antibiotic from a vet if possible. If there is dust or mold or a wet brooder, remove her from that and get her into a clean dry area.

The older birds were suffering from some sort of respiratory illness earlier on this year but it cleared up in 4 weeks.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/hen-keeps-sneezing.1299027/

I’ll have a look at her in the morning :)

Yes, just looked back at your thread from before. It seemed like the flock may have had infectious bronchitis. IB makes most of the flock carriers for 5 months up to a year after they get better. It can cause thin egg shells and other abnormal shells, such as wrinkled shells. This may be what the chick is suffering from. Testing would be a good way to confirm what the disease is. I would not hatch or add chickens for a year from when you no longer see any symptoms or other sick birds. You had some powder antibiotic before, so that may be good to use for this chick, in case it is not IB, or to help prevent secondary infection.

We brought her to the vets and they think she has gape worm so they gave her some medicine and told us to see how she is tomorrow...
They said that it is possible that she has a respiratory illness but they’re leaning more towards gape worm as she’s gasping for air and shaking her head.

Gapeworm is a rarer worm. The vet should be able to identify gapeworm larvae in the droppings. In the US fenbendazole is used to treat gapeworm. Flubendazole, albendazole, and levamisole are some of the drugs used around the world to treat it.

Respiratory diseases are more common that gapeworms, so it is hard sometimes to tell the difference. If you see drainage or bubbles in an eye, nasal drainage, or sneezing, those are signs of respiratory infections.

Gapeworm is a rarer worm. The vet should be able to identify gapeworm larvae in the droppings. In the US fenbendazole is used to treat gapeworm. Flubendazole, albendazole, and levamisole are some of the drugs used around the world to treat it.

Respiratory diseases are more common that gapeworms, so it is hard sometimes to tell the difference. If you see drainage or bubbles in an eye, nasal drainage, or sneezing, those are signs of respiratory infections.

The chick sadly passed away last night.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom