chick grit help?

stephensc7146

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 4, 2012
Southeastern, Ohio
I got chick grit for my chicks that are 2 weeks old. There is absolutely no feeding instructions on the bag other than to monitor how much they eat for a couple days. I don't know if I am suppose to be mixing a certain amount with their food, feeding it straight to them, how much to give them?? What am I suppose to be looking for when I'm monitoring them? The directions are absolutely no help at all, could someone please help me?

This is how I handle feeding chick grit. If they are still eating chick starter I don't feed any grit. Before I switch then to grower, I give them oatmeal, and sprinkle some grit on top of there starter feed for 2 days. That will usually get there crop/gizzard started, you can also put some in plain yogurt. Then I switch them to grower, and sprinkle one handful per 10 chicks once a day. I have not had any problems yet. Using the yogurt also helps with the switch, keeps everything in balance. I keep my chickens on grower or grower/finisher, depending on what is available to you. I supplement oyster shell for the calcium, and I also have access to 4 sizes of grit. You can always get them biggest one, and crush it to the size you need if you don't want to have several bags going. Hope this helps!
smile.png

i have been giving grit to my chicks since they started eating anything but chick food. i just put it in a container they could access & let them free use. since they're chicks, i make sure it doesn't have calcium in it, just grit. they seem to instinctively know how much & when to eat it.

The part about calcium is for adults. Sorry I got a little bit off subject. I don't give it to the chicks.

This is how I handle feeding chick grit. If they are still eating chick starter I don't feed any grit. Before I switch then to grower, I give them oatmeal, and sprinkle some grit on top of there starter feed for 2 days. That will usually get there crop/gizzard started, you can also put some in plain yogurt. Then I switch them to grower, and sprinkle one handful per 10 chicks once a day. I have not had any problems yet. Using the yogurt also helps with the switch, keeps everything in balance. I keep my chickens on grower or grower/finisher, depending on what is available to you. I supplement oyster shell for the calcium, and I also have access to 4 sizes of grit. You can always get them biggest one, and crush it to the size you need if you don't want to have several bags going. Hope this helps!
smile.png

Mix it with some sand and soil in a large pan or basin and sit it in their pen. They will figure it out...they will dust in it, pick at it, eat as much as they need and no more. I'd not place it in their feed...it needs to be something they voluntarily eat free choice and they will only eat what they need at the time.

You'll see them really go at it when it is first placed there but then they will only eat it on occasion...mostly they will dust in it, which is perfectly okay and good for them.

Thanks for all the help so far!

Feeding directions say: Provide Manna Pro Chick Grit to young birds beginning at two weeks of age. Monitor intake of Chick Grit for the first few days. If consumption is excessive and causes a reduction in feed intake, limit access to Chick Grit. Chick Grit is also suitable for adult poultry and fowl.

Definitely not very helpful directions to a first time chicken owner, so I definitely appreciate everyone's help!

On another note, will it make any difference for bantams to have it at the young age? I have 2 bantams in with my 27 sex links and barred rocks. The bantams were purchased at the same time as the others, but haven't seemed to grow at all. Will they be okay to have the grit at the same time or should I keep it from them until they are bigger sized? I think I may just wait a couple more weeks before I try it out..

Let's put it this way....my chicks are usually brooded by a hen and they are free ranged with the rest of the flock around their 2 wk, at which time they eat all the grit substance they need and their mother shows them the way. A bird will not eat too much grit....never opened up a bird and found grit in it's system, only the gizzard. And you wouldn't believe the things I've seen in a gizzard!

I don't think there is any time frame but I'd concentrate on giving them good, nutritious feeds while they are growing. Treats are entirely not necessary but if you have food scraps left over from dinner, I'd go ahead and give them to the chickens. I wouldn't prepare anything special or buy anything special as they just don't need that kind of supplement if you are feeding correctly.

If you have free range, I'd just stick with that and their feed and forget about treats as a daily consideration. Kids fed junk food all the time will turn out unhealthy blobs and the same is true with chickens.

If you are in a pen situation and just want them to have variety, it doesn't matter how many greens and veggies you want to give...they need all the healthy greens they can get.

Last edited:
I would make them a dust bathe using sand. Little iddy's love bathing just as much as the grown ups do. They will pick at the sand & eat some as well. I brood my hatch in their pens so I really have never used grit. My farm is like living on the beach.I add no treats until their 2 months old.

Back
Top Bottom