Chick has hatched at day 18. lighting help!!

SkyeAus

In the Brooder
Oct 26, 2015
GERALDTON, WA
Hi everyone, I've just had a chick hatch at day 18. Put in on 23rd Oct.
I was going to buy lights in a few days time when I got paid, I thought I had enough time!!
A bloke on my local poultry page has said he uses normal 100w lights. Would this be sufficient until I can get something?
There was no piping when I turned them at 8 this morning. Now 2pm and chick is fully hatched!! My first one ever. How exciting

I'd say that would be fine as long as it's close enough to heat little guys area up to 90-95 degrees Fahrenheit I'm no pro though this is just a quick suggestion

Congrats on your chick :clap

They can sometimes catch you out when they hatch early :barnie

You should be fine with smaller light untill you can get a bigger one, are you brooding in the house? If so this should be ok. Just make sure the chick can't touch the light and get burned.

I have a friend who uses a desk lamp and 100w bulb to brood in the house. She just made a little wire guard so they can't jump up near the bulb.

Good luck with your chick and the rest of your hatch :fl

So I've come to the realisation it is actually a quail chick lol!! Didn't open the incubator so just presumed it was a chicken.
Will it be okay being the only one?

Do you have another quail due to hatch?

You could put it a mirror or a small soft toy in with it so it can see something else.
Do you have chicken eggs in your incubator due to hatch? I would be carefull if you add chicks to the quail as they will be much bigger than your quail.

When I brood in a smallish container in the house, I only use a 75 or 100 watt bulb in a drop light.
I prefer the ceramic heat emitters used for reptiles since I can then give a light and dark period after the 4th day. You can get them on Ebay in anywhere from 75-350 watts.

I have chickens due in the next week, and 3 more quail eggs. If there's an issue I'll just grab another light and set them up separately (assuming my chickens actually hatch lol) I'm stoked I've even managed to hatch one. I have the brooder inside

Back
Top Bottom