Chick hatched today at 16 days?

leithsloft

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 1, 2014
Gaylord, MI
I had a chick hatch this morning at only 16 days. My Buff Orpington went broody so I went and got 4 fertile eggs from a friend. I clearly marked the 4 with, 6/9/16. Then on 6/13/16 my friend gave me another Americana egg to add to the bunch. I marked it before bringing it home. I added 2 more Americana eggs on 6/14/16. This morning I checked on Mama and heard a peep. Lifted her front up to see a wet new baby born. Egg shell was marked, 6/13. I was concerned. Waited a couple hours and checked to see a perfectly healthy baby. Isn't this really early? None of the others have hatched which is fine since they weren't due to hatch till tomorrow. OH...and this first time chick hatching is soooo exciting! I don't know who's more nervous, me or Buttercup!

Yes, absolutely sure. I drove to get the egg, marked the date on it immediately before leaving with black magic marker as I did with the others. I was really surprised it was the first egg to hatch! The person I got it from, took it from the hen as soon as she laid it. She has 2 pure bred Americana's and wanted to make sure I included the egg in the hatch. I told her that I wasn't sure if my hen would continue to lay on the eggs after the one's start hatching that were put under her on the 9th. I just checked on the baby and she was out under mom, checking things out and looks full developed with no issues!

Getting curious about this thing called, Life!

It monsoom time here and heat and humidity is very high.
2 of mu chiks under hen hatched on day 16
And further 2 hatched on day17.
Day 16 ones are noticably smaller than day 17 but perfectly o.k and running.

Last edited:
I have eggs in an incubator , an expensive good one set at 37.5 degrees and 45 % humidity , on the 16th day three have now hatched, not small and egg shells are clean.

Didn't stop turning didn't raise humidity, that's 3 out in the space of 2 hours, sort of throws the rule book out the window eh?

Back
Top Bottom