Chick hatched with leg splayed back

KHoward

Songster
12 Years
Apr 28, 2011
Boston
Hi,

I have hatched and repaired plenty of splayed legs where they go out to the side, but this chick has one leg that is behind it, the other is fine. I tried the traditional method of putting a bandaid brace to pull them closer together, but now both legs are back and the chick is on its belly. I'm going to try to put it in a narrow container to keep it upright with its legs under it.

Any suggestions?
ch splay.jpg

Last edited:
Hi,

I have hatched and repaired plenty of splayed legs where they go out to the side, but this chick has one leg that is behind it, the other is fine. I tried the traditional method of putting a bandaid brace to pull them closer together, but now both legs are back and the chick is on it's belly. Any suggestions?
Is it a slipped tendon, maybe? I have not before seen a backward leg...

I ended up holding the chick in the correct position, in my hand last night for several hours and this morning, it seems much better.

Now I am doing the same for two chicks (last to hatch and shrink wrapped) who have curly toe and cant stand. I taped the toes and now im trying to get them to stay upright. This batch was a goofy hatch.

I ended up holding the chick in the correct position, in my hand last night for several hours and this morning, it seems much better.

Now I am doing the same for two chicks (last to hatch and shrink wrapped) who have curly toe and cant stand. I taped the toes and now im trying to get them to stay upright. This batch was a goofy hatch.
Sounds like it was a little off. I have zero interest in hatching, partly because so much can go wrong. It terrifies me - lol!

Sounds like it was a little off. I have zero interest in hatching, partly because so much can go wrong. It terrifies me - lol!

In this case, I wanted the eggs so I could see the color. I was looking for the extra dark Marans eggs. Of the 14, 2 were not fertile and 12 for 12 hatched. Marans eggs are notorious for being hard to hatch because of the hard shells, I think.

Attachments

• marans egg.jpg
    marans egg.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 3
Hi,

I have hatched and repaired plenty of splayed legs where they go out to the side, but this chick has one leg that is behind it, the other is fine. I tried the traditional method of putting a bandaid brace to pull them closer together, but now both legs are back and the chick is on its belly. I'm going to try to put it in a narrow container to keep it upright with its legs under it.

Any suggestions?View attachment 3088351
How did this chick end up? I hatched one with the same issue and trying to determine it's fate. 😕

Back
Top Bottom