Chick introduction...hope it goes smoothly!

Lilyrush

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 27, 2012
Western Washington
I will be introducing three, six week old chicks to my flock of four, nine month old hens.

This is my set up right now. My hens so far seem really unphased by the chicks presence in the coop. I haven't seen any aggressive behavior or pecking from my hens at all. Does this mean that when the time comes to actually combine them all, it will go smoothly? My hens are really laid back with each other, I honestly cannot figure out the pecking order because I never see any squabbles. I'd love to hear tips or advice from any of you more experienced chicken owners. Thanks!

Hi it was suggested to me that setting them up the way you have is the best way to introduce new chicks, but when you let them out keep an eye on them for a while and put the chicks away again if there is too much bullying and let them out for longer each day. When I introduced two new 18 wk olds to my two 24wk olds ,while the wire was between them the older ones would peck the younger ones Whenever the got a chance but when the wire was removed they had one or two serious words with each other and now all is well But it could go the other way your hens may realise while they are there they are no threat but when they are let out all hell could break loose all the best and ngood luck to your chicks

Back
Top Bottom