Chick just hatched with something on bottom!

Chirpingchickens

In the Brooder
Jun 21, 2020
I’m new to incubating and it’s day 21. I don’t know if this is normal or not. It doesn’t look yellow like a yolk. More green and white kind of like poop. I don’t know if it’s actually poop though. Do chicks hatch with a string of poop attached to its butt? I may just sound really dumb haha! The chick is doing just fine. She’s walking around and chirping. Please help me with what this could be! Thanks!
4DEEAD0F-EB34-4121-AC3F-E48E57B5EBA9.jpeg
D7DA1DD1-120E-4B11-B10F-94A9BE9E978D.jpeg
19722A99-229C-4B48-8388-B945A59024E4.jpeg

Last edited:
The pictures didn't come through, but it sounds like it's just hatching gunk, which is normal. It will dry up and fall off, or you can gently take it off, but I wouldn't try anything until you get your pictures up and confirm that it is indeed hatching gunk. If it's something like an intestine or yolk (which it doesn't sound like it is) you could hurt it. As long as the chick seems fine and the other chicks aren't pecking at it, it should be fine in the meantime.

Thank you guys! It must have been hatching gunk! It fell off sometime last night. Two more have hatched out of five eggs so I’m pretty happy! I think one egg wasn’t fertile. And the other was moving but hasn’t pipped or anything. But the three that did are all chirping and moving around haha! I’m one happy chick momma!

Excellent! I'd give the slowpoke another day to work it out on their own, but if it's still not out, you may consider installing an emergency air hole (many articles on the forum about how and why you'd do this). The more work the chick does on their own, the healthier they'll be over their lifetime, so resist the urge to 'do it for them', if at all possible.

Back
Top Bottom