Chick leg problem-not spraddle (I think)

Thork

In the Brooder
Jun 14, 2019
Hi! We have this day old BO hatched from fertilized eggs incubated by our broody. She is the only hatchling in the clutch of 5 eggs so far.

She seems healthy, vent is clear. I haven't seen her eat or drink, but she hatched 24 hrs ago. Sticking close to mama.

She seems to have trouble walking, with her R leg stuck out behind her and he L leg more forward. She keeps tipping forward and scrambling around to get places.

Please follow this link to see a video bearing weight and look at the leg position. https://photos.app.goo.gl/etpdxCx6xPjfSU3m7

Any thoughts on treatment/how long to give it before we consider culling?

Thanks in advance!!

You're right, it doesn't quite look like spraddle leg. It might've come from an incubation issue. However, I would treat it just the same a you would treat spraddle. It looks like a positioning issue, which can possibly be corrected using the same methods. If that doesn't work, then I'd move on to a chick chair. She looks like a very healthy chick other than the funky legs, so I would give her a good chance before deciding to cull.

We applied the band-aid method...So fingers crossed.
I will say she was already standing morn on her own, but the positioning of her legs was still a little funky, so we went ahead and did the hobbles.
Thank you for your response!

Hard to know what's going on there, I would watch closely that hobbling her doesn't make the condition worse.
I would get some B2 Riboflavin into her. The best way to do that would be to crush 1/4 tablet B-Complex and add it to a little of her food or dissolve it in a small amount of water and syringe it into her.

Thank you both for your feedback. Already she seemed to be much more stable even before any intervention. Left the hobbles on for about 24 hours and gave vitamins. She is getting around quite well now although the R leg still seems to be a little further behind the L.
Also she is now named Jell-O Shot due to her wobbly beginning and small stature.

Back
Top Bottom