Chick lethargic and panting

Petitebird

Songster
Dec 24, 2020
I know it is 10pm. But I need urgent help. I just found this 4 day old chick lethargic and panting. It seems to be cold. It has always been under the brooder. The other chicks who are younger than him are doing great. Don’t know what’s going wrong.

Please watch the video and let me know what I can do.

What's your brooder setup like?
Temps in the brooder on the cold and warm side?

Have you seen the chick eat and drink?
Temperature is about 95 degrees, no abnormal behaviors from other chicks. Yes, he eats and drinks, but not much

95 for the first week is too hot?
95 can still be too hot for that age.

What's the temp in the rest of the brooder? Photos of the brooder setup?
I thought 95 should be the temperature set for the first week? Here is the set up of the brooder.

Attachments

• ECC97577-9053-4A45-B869-BF7A024AC979.jpeg
    ECC97577-9053-4A45-B869-BF7A024AC979.jpeg
    357.7 KB · Views: 7
They have no space to move about to avoid the heat.
Provide a larger tote or tape some boxes together and give them plenty of room.

They only need one warm spot (the heat plate) and let the rest of their larger area be cool.

They only need one warm spot (the heat plate) and let the rest of their larger area be cool.
Fully agree. I believe your chick is overheated. Don't attempt to cool them down with water or anything though. A drop or two of vitamins on their beak (will roll into their mouth) can give them something to keep going if they haven't eaten/drank much, but be careful.

But all the other chicks are doing very well. I always set up my brooder like this, and never have had any problems. This particular chick has been weak since it was born.

Back
Top Bottom