Chick mortality rates - what do I do?

Actually the medicated foods contain Amprol, which isn't really a "medication" at all....it is a Thiamin blocker. And being one of the few Catholic families in an almost totally Mormon community, I'm not sure where you got your facts on "Mormons...........fighting this for decades!!" We are in a farming community, and I can tell you first hand that most of the farmers here use Round-up Ready Beets for sugar beet production. Every friend and neighbor I have here is Mormon. So a blanket statement like that just isn't accurate, which leads me to question your response totally.

Sorry, not trying to be argumentative but before tossing out opinions as facts it's best to have the facts.

My "facts" came from Mennonites. They and the mormons have been "at it" for years, so I am not getting into the "religious" BS.
Let it lie, as far as I'm concerned, I will NOT debate facts.

Lazy Gardener - A block? Sorry not clear what you ,meant :)

I have had them on medicated feed. It is not something that I normally do, and intend to switch everyone once I decide if I am going to mix my own or find an organic feed I like and can afford. But right now I am trying to make the best choices for my flock.

I did lose two chicks last week out of a new batch. one was quite small, and I still feel it got cold. The other stopped eating and drinking, went listless. I brought it inside (have an outside brooder with outdoor sun, heat pad) and put it in a container next to the turkey poults under a lamp but not fully under. I did this with another of the same breed who was acting a bit off and it bounced right back. This one did not, and continued to not eat or drink. I've got a broad base antibiotic that I'm trying to decide if I should do a round with the entire flock, or not. Otherwise I'm rather at a loss.

Thanks for the post Robert......The medicated foods do contain a mild antibiotic, at least what I can buy here does......My brand does not contain Amprol.......You said that the Mormons, Mennonites, and The Amish have been fighting this for years.......Some do wanting a more "natural" product (eggs and meat)......Don't know why that lady took offense .....To each his own....thanks for your post......Larry, ....AT HOME IN ALABAMA.

No, Robert, don't live in South Alabama......I'm a Yankee.....I live in North Alabama near Huntsville......Originally from North Louisiana, Shreveport.........Am retired Biology, Human Anatomy and Genetics teacher.......My wife is from here.........Larry, AT HOME IN ALABAMA.

No, Robert, don't live in South Alabama......I'm a Yankee.....I live in North Alabama near Huntsville......Originally from North Louisiana, Shreveport.........Am retired Biology, Human Anatomy and Genetics teacher.......My wife is from here.........Larry, AT HOME IN ALABAMA.
Got another friend there, too, name of Reid Smith, aka Smitty. He has a nice furniture shop there.

Great resume.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom