Chick naming thread!

I'm a new chick mama, too. My 3 (surviving) girls are 8 weeks old. All Barred Rock. Gone With The Wind ladies. I have:

Mammy
Suellen
Prissy

Melanie (Melly) died early on (of coccidiosis, I think). She was aptly named. :(
And I did have a Scarlett, she had the prettiest feathers, but turned out to be a roo...

My Buff Orps (coming soon) will be

Belle
India
Aunt PittyPat
And does anyone remember Scarlett and Suellen's other sister's name? I'm thinking it was something like Caron...if I can't think of it she'll have to be Ellen O'Hara!

This year the the curve ball mega mix of birds I ended up with have yielded some beautiful birds with distinct personalities.
Names are important as they must "fit" so I don't have them all named yet.

The 1st I named when it was days old. (7weeks now) "Henrietta" is a bantam RIR who has been ultra friendly & sweet all along.

Another I named is some sort of Bantam roo %97 black w what may be %3 white if he'll stop moving long enough for a close look! He may be a bantam rir too, I'm not sure yet. Whenever "Sparrow" or Capt. Jack Sparrow as he likes to be called is running for his life w/a bit of food from the other birds chasing he lets out a high pitch tweet over and over like a hungry baby sparrow. That and being the tiniest lil fella' among about 30 birds this year I named him "Sparrow".

I named a cross beaked brahma who reminds me of a comic legend, Buddy Hackett, so I named him Buddy.

Magpie couple is named Heckle and Jeckle, the Drake being Heckle for a good reason! He's 7 weeks old trying to boss around a two year old champion Cayuga drake I brought home from Ormstown expo last weekend! He found out real fast the Cayuga drake and hen aren't putting up w any of that! Things are calmer now that an older duck is "in charge".

I haven't named the rest as many are young roo's that won't be around this fall, or they are too new like the Cayuga pair and Blue Runner, or I haven't decided if they're 'food' or not.. I keep getting encouraged not to name my food. lol!

More names to come!

Lizzy, Gabby and Nikki - Crested Polish
Lilly - Americana Hen
Sally and Mae -Partridge Cochin hens
Roo and Randy -Partridge Rooster
Sony and Kodak - White Cochins Roosters
7 White Cochins we haven't named yet
4 Partridge Cochins we haven't named yet

I haven't gotten them yet BUT my chicks future names are Georgia, Martha, Savanah, Lila and Paisley. Possible a Tinsley :)

My 6 yr old granddaughter and I named the chicks together.
RIR = Penny (color of a penny)
yellow Ameraucana = Sweetie (she seemed like a sweet chick plus it is from Doctor Who "Hello Sweetie")
2 barred Plymouth Rocks = the one with the larger yellow spot on her head is Sunshine, the one with the smaller yellow spot is Luna.

BUT, my question is: How do you tell chickens of the same breed and colors apart? Luna and Sunshine are rapidly losing the yellow spots and I'm guessing in the next day or two I won't be able to distinguish them!

How do you tell your chickens apart after you name them?

My 6 yr old granddaughter and I named the chicks together.
RIR = Penny (color of a penny)
yellow Ameraucana = Sweetie (she seemed like a sweet chick plus it is from Doctor Who "Hello Sweetie")
2 barred Plymouth Rocks = the one with the larger yellow spot on her head is Sunshine, the one with the smaller yellow spot is Luna.

BUT, my question is: How do you tell chickens of the same breed and colors apart? Luna and Sunshine are rapidly losing the yellow spots and I'm guessing in the next day or two I won't be able to distinguish them!

How do you tell your chickens apart after you name them?
I have three each of five different breeds. I bought small black and white zip ties for their legs. One of each breed gets black, one gets white, and the third is left without a band. Just need to monitor and add new ones as they grow.

Back
Top Bottom