chick not feathering

turkeymom

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 15, 2010
SE Tennessee
Has anyone ever had a chick not feather out?

This chick is a 7 week old salmon faverolle from McMurray (allegedly a pullet, but I'm not convinced) who has had a large bald patch on her back for the last 2 weeks or so. I've watched carefully and no one is pecking her, and the skin looks healthy. No sign of parasites. She/he has just never grown the adult feathers on her back. All the other chicks are normal.

Here is a picture. (This is my first time posting a picture, so I hope it works!)

Thanks

Last edited:
hehe I had one that I named ugly duckling (even though its a chicken) and now It is so
love.gif
cute! and all featherd
heres mine when it was small, it's now almost a year

81782_russell.jpg

This is my 7-8 week old roo..he has almost no feathers on his back..I posted last week asking if this was normal..and was reassured that it was...males feather out later then the girls..and some depending if they are larger breeds..feather out later regardless of sex...they look funny now..but I am guessing she will be a lovely lady!
thumbsup.gif

Well that's not what I wanted to hear (I ordered them sexed b/c I hate roosters and hate dealing with them)!x
sad.png

But, I guess that's better than hearing he's sick.

Honestly, I ordered 25 pullets from McMurray - 13 were sex-links, and 12 were other pullets. Of those 12, I think there are 2 roosters, actually I'm pretty sure 2 are roosters. That's over 10 % error! I don't think they did such a great job sexing these, or maybe we're just unlucky. Just venting!

Thanks for the info!

I had the same thing happen with an EE from MM last spring--see below--and posted here. Had lotza theories but eventually she (and it was a she) feathered out and now I can't tell her from her sisters. Been growing chickens from chicks for a long time and this was a first for me.
62375_img_1922.jpg

I just got on the forum to ask this same question!! I am glad to see it is normal. Three of my month old chicks are showing small bald patches on their backs. I suppose they may just be roosters.. The rest are full and feathering out just fine. This post made my day, I was worried!

My Mottled Cochin Bantam is 7 1/2 weeks old and she still has all her downy feathers with filly feathered feet and knees. Some wild ones on the back of her head and wings. Still growing though.

Back
Top Bottom