Chick not growing

Motherhenandflock

Songster
12 Years
May 17, 2007
Southeast Idaho
Hi All! I'm new around these parts. But I have had chickens for years. This is a new one for me and I'm not sure what to do.
I have 10 Red Sex Links, they are 4.5 weeks old. So they are growing, getting feathers and acting like little chickens! All except for one. She just has quit growing it seems, hardly any feathers and she doesn't stand up on her legs. She scoots more than walks like the others. She does eat and drink. I don't have much hope for her and I don't want to have the others start picking on her. I'm actually surprised they haven't started already.
And then I have a similar thing happening with a Barred Rock except she is just fine, just smaller. My hubby thinks she's a bantam. I'm not concerned about her. It's just weird that I have 2 "little"chicks from different hatcheries.
Has anyone seen anything like the first chick? I call her "gimpy", the name seems to fit.
hmm.png

Hmmm...dont know about the scooting problem? is her legs okay??

But My very first batch of chicks, i had one hen that was so much smaller than the rest. But she grew up just fine and you cant tell her from any of the others, she just took a little more time to grow.
PICT0030.jpg

Last edited:
Hi, thanks for your responses. The little barred rock I'm not worried about. She is very perky. And they look like the pictures posted.
But that little red sex link. Her legs seem ok she just doesn't stand up on them like the other little girls do. She just kind of hunkers down, for lack of a better word. She gets around but not like she should be. I am so concerned that the others will start picking on her. I really think I should have my hubby "take care" of her before anything bad happens. Every morning I expect to find her expired.
Thanks for your help.
smile.png

Last edited:
Give her some more time before you put her down. When Cleo was a couple weeks old, she acted weird and held her head crooked and walked sideways. She fell down a lot, and seemed off balance. I expected to find her dead every time I looked at them. But after about a week of that she started showing improvement, and she is just fine now. 11 weeks old, and one of the biggest girls we have.
If your little one is eating drinking and pooping like normal just wait and watch. She might come out of it ok.

I have a BLRW that is about a third of the size of the other two; been wondering myself if she was a bantam. She's happy, healthy and eating too, so it's good to hear it's normal.

Back
Top Bottom