Chick Order Gone Awry...Help me ID my mystery chick and confirm others!

EggDropSoup

Chirping
7 Years
Sep 12, 2012
So I ordered 8 baby chicks from My Pet Chicken. I know people complain about that particular place, but last time I ordered, I got 15 chicks and they were all alive, properly sexed, and grew up to be beautiful, productive birds. Over the past year, I've lost a few to predators and a respiratory disease, and I decided to get a few more and split the order with a friend who also has chickens.

I got them this morning after two days in transit. One--a rhode island red--was dead and the other, a Welsummer (which I've been wanting for AGES) seems to be suffering from a really awful neurological problem wherein she can't walk, stand, or hold her head straight. I will probably cull her this evening. :( My Pet Chicken has already refunded me for the dead rhode island and the screwed up Welsummer, but as I'm looking through my order, I realize that there's supposed to be another Rhode Island Red, and I'm pretty sure there's not (they're rather distinct chicks!). So my main objective is to a). confirm that I've correctly identified the others and b). get some help with my mystery chick who was supposed to be a rhode island red but clearly isn't.

Let's start with what I'm pretty sure are my two Easter Eggers. They both seem to have those cute little "muffs" at the sides of their heads, which is what I'm basing my guess on. Sorry the pics aren't full body shots. I was having a hard time getting them to hold still!

Now here's one that I'm almost certain is my Speckled Sussex (I hope!). I've really been wanting a Sussex, and I'd really appreciate if at least THAT part of my order had gone right. Her markings aren't as distinct as some of the pictures I've seen of other sussex chicks, but I'm pretty sure that's what she is:

And finally, we come to the mystery chick. What say you? (Photos below) Any ideas? Could she still be a RIR?? She has no red to speak of!!

Thanks so much for any help you can offer!!

Your mystery chick looks like a partridge rock to me! I could be wrong, but she looks like one to me. Good luck with the rest of your babies!!

The little Welsummer chick I thought was a goner seems to be making a recovery!! She was literally lying on her back, head thrown all the way back and twisted, gasping for breath--unable to walk, open her eyes, stand, or keep any semblance of balance. As a last ditch effort, I ran to the drugstore and got some iron-free Poly Vi Sol baby drops and gave her three drops. I checked on her two hours later, certain she'd be dead....and she was walking around, had her eyes opened, and when knocked over by another chick, got right back up!! I'm AMAZED. She's still really shaky and wobbly, but she has definitely made a gigantic improvement. I'm pretty stoked!

Also--I agree with the Partridge Rock assessment. I scoured the My Pet Chicken website, and a Partridge Rock was the only thing that resembled her. I thought it was odd because it says the hatchery is sold out of those, but who knows? I'm sure she'll be a great chicken, regardless. :)

Also--I agree with the Partridge Rock assessment. I scoured the My Pet Chicken website, and a Partridge Rock was the only thing that resembled her. I thought it was odd because it says the hatchery is sold out of those, but who knows? I'm sure she'll be a great chicken, regardless. :)
So happy your welsummer is feeling better! They are hardy little chickens, so I bet she wont go down without a fight! The partridge rocks are awesome chickens, you will love her too! :)

Back
Top Bottom