Chick pecked to skull

I’m really concerned about those two sharp looking tendrils on the sides of her head. When she would drink water they would move while she moved her beak.
I would need detailed pictures of that away from the heat lamp. But I'd give her sometime too settle first.

I’m really concerned about those two sharp looking tendrils on the sides of her head. When she would drink water they would move while she moved her beak.
Well, if she's moving her beak then that means no muscles have been destroyed. Just make sure it stays covered up and once the skin heals over it should be fine.

I’m so sorry about the chick. 😞 She has a good chance at recovery. Listen to the advice you’re being given… very, very important. Keep the wound from becoming infected. Apply the triple (non-pain) antibiotic often. Birds can receive severe scalp damage and still fully recover. I have a male King quail that went through head injury a few years ago. His poor tiny head was plastered in triple antibiotic during his entire recovery. He has a lot of scarring, but he’s also a very spoiled teeny pet. ☺️ Good wishes being sent for your little one.

Well, if she's moving her beak then that means no muscles have been destroyed. Just make sure it stays covered up and once the skin heals over it should be fine.
Okay! Thank you all for replying so quickly, it was very stressful but you all have helped chill me out about this a little bit :,) I think we’re gonna see if she makes it through the night. She was in the cold before we found her and it’s been hours since we brought her in the warm and she’s really perked up a *little* since then. I think she wants to fight for it.

Okay! Thank you all for replying so quickly, it was very stressful but you all have helped chill me out about this a little bit :,) I think we’re gonna see if she makes it through the night. She was in the cold before we found her and it’s been hours since we brought her in the warm and she’s really perked up a *little* since then. I think she wants to fight for it.
If she keeps fighting, I'd continue trying to treat. If she stops fighting, I'd put her down. Warmth can do rather miraculous things with drawing birds back from the brink.

I don't blame you for being stressed! I really do think she'll make it. Are you able to get up periodically throughout and check on her?

Ugh thats absolutely heartbreaking. My heart goes out to both of you.

It would be nice if the people stating that these injuries heal "fairly quickly" could add some context so you know if this chick is healing above or below average standards.
Some said that since her skull looks to be intact that she can hopefully get through it. I’m hoping she will, but I know that maybe we got to her too late, or it was just too severe. Holding out hope, and I’m going to care for her, but I won’t be surprised if she doesn’t make it. It’s a very traumatic head injury.
But, the people who say that chickens are very resilient, I believe them! I’ve seen chickens come out completely fine after some horrible attacks.

Back
Top Bottom