Chick Perch Help!

cowhlb

Songster
5 Years
Apr 4, 2014
Virginia

I've got the dal rods. Now what?

Chickens aren't really perching birds like sparrows and robins. They do roost but need something wide like a 2X4, especially in cold winters so they can cover their toes with feathers to protect from frostbite.
Sometimes young chicks will perch on something like a dowel rod but most often they sleep on the floor till they're brave enough to jump onto a roost.

x2 Either a 2x4 set with the flat side up so they can sit on it, or very large limbs. I use both, a 2x4 in the coop and I have two large branches (over 2" wide) in the run.

At 2 weeks they don't need nor want to roost. More like 10 weeks.

If you want to use the dowels, just stick them in there. Some may use them occasionally.

Last edited:
All of them are perching on the feeder and waters. We don't want this because their waste is getting into their food and water.

Raise the feed and water and cover them so they can't defecate in them.

Just adding perches won't prevent them from standing on feeders and water founts. Sitting on and defecating in their food and water is their favorite pastime.

Last edited:
We used metal rods from an old swing set. I am wondering if it's still slippery for them though. Thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom