Chick pipped outside of the air cell

HappyClucker7

Bantam Queen
7 Years
Apr 28, 2016
New York
One of my eggs just pipped, but the hole is just a little outside the air cell. Is that okay, or is it going to be an issue?

IMG_20220501_183603822.jpg

One of my eggs just pipped, but the hole is just a little outside the air cell. Is that okay, or is it going to be an issue?

View attachment 3088273
I had a duckling do this
I had to assist as he couldn’t turn to get himself out
But as long as they have made a hole they cab breath
I don’t know how long chicks take but you would count this as both internal and external for wait time
So if a chicken takes 12 hours from internal to external Then another 12 hours from external to zip you would wait 24 hours before helping
Hope that makes sense
I know my hours are off it’s just an example

How is it?

I had a duckling do this
I had to assist as he couldn’t turn to get himself out
But as long as they have made a hole they cab breath
I don’t know how long chicks take but you would count this as both internal and external for wait time
So if a chicken takes 12 hours from internal to external Then another 12 hours from external to zip you would wait 24 hours before helping
Hope that makes sense
I know my hours are off it’s just an example
Luckily, the chick hatched without any assistance, and is doing great!

View attachment 3088273

My first ever egg to incubate has just done this. How long did it take to make the hole bigger? If you remember! I don't want to intervene / assist too early (I'd only make the hole a lil bigger, have read the articles by Sally Sunshine) but I don't want to let it suffocate either. I'm worried it can't access the air in the air cell, and that the hole it has made is too small. I'll try to post a picture. Advice would be really appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• 20240516_180940.jpg
    20240516_180940.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 3
My first ever egg to incubate has just done this. How long did it take to make the hole bigger? If you remember! I don't want to intervene / assist too early (I'd only make the hole a lil bigger, have read the articles by Sally Sunshine) but I don't want to let it suffocate either. I'm worried it can't access the air in the air cell, and that the hole it has made is too small. I'll try to post a picture. Advice would be really appreciated. Thanks
If it has externally pipped and is chirping it won't need the air cell. It is breathing the outside air and won't suffocate.
It may take your baby over 12 hours before it starts working more on the pip. Right now it is finishing absorbing the yolk sac and building up energy to continue breaking out of the shell.

If it has externally pipped and is chirping it won't need the air cell. It is breathing the outside air and won't suffocate.
It may take your baby over 12 hours before it starts working more on the pip. Right now it is finishing absorbing the yolk sac and building up energy to continue breaking out of the shell.
Thanks for your reply. It isn’t chirping so I’m hoping it is just resting. It is day 20 today, so I’m guessing it was trying to pip internally. I’m just hoping it can get air through that tiny crack, it’s hard to see if it has or not

Thanks for your reply. It isn’t chirping so I’m hoping it is just resting. It is day 20 today, so I’m guessing it was trying to pip internally. I’m just hoping it can get air through that tiny crack, it’s hard to see if it has or not
How long has it been externally pipped? If you haven't heard any noise I would carefully pull off a bit of the shell on the pip and punch a tiny hole in the membrane.

Back
Top Bottom