chick pricing

SimoneG

Songster
Sep 25, 2017
North Dakota
Hi, We have a local swap coming up and I'm debating on check prices for the ones I sell. Usually of the farm I sell my silkies for $10 each and my Salmon Favorelles for $10 each. Some of them will be 10days old and others will be closer to 3 days old. Just wondering if the younger ones should be priced at. (I usually sell them between 5 days and 2 weeks old) I'm located in North Dakota. They are breeder and show quality silkies and the salmons are breeder quality.
Thanks for any input!

Ultimately, its "what the market will bear", and North Dakota, if you will forgive the observation, is a big place. Not as big as it appears on a flat map, but still a big place. There will be significant regional variations, depending on how close or far you are from various urban centers, together with the usual market drivers of relative scarcity/abundance.

If you currently get $10/bird on your property, reliably, I'd plan to price there, but be willing to adjust based on what you find at the market in terms of both competition and demand. In my area, you'd be hard pressed to sell those over $4-5, they aren't the breeds sought locally - not enough egg production, not large enough eggs when they do produce, we don't need cold weather hardiness, and most of the local shows have been cancelled, so the majority of the 4H crowd aren't buying for display purposes. Not much call for pet chickens around here, though a barnyard mix from a known productive barnyard will get $3 per hatchling. All of which has nothing to do with the quality of your birds, and everything to do with breed characteristics and local conditions.

In any event, I wish you every fortune in your efforts.

U_Stormcrow thank you for your input!
I'm in eastern ND but the Swap itself is in Valley City (fairly big town for out here) THings out here are starting to pick up again so hopefully they will in your area as well!​

Some of them will be 10days old and others will be closer to 3 days old. Just wondering if the younger ones should be priced at. (I usually sell them between 5 days and 2 weeks old)
If you're asking about different prices for the different ages, I would try pricing them the same and see how it goes. The older chicks have eaten more feed and need less heat, but the younger chicks are smaller and cuter, so either one might be more "valuable" to a buyer.

Then consider offering a discount if someone asks, or change the price on one set if the others are selling faster.

Back
Top Bottom