Chick Problems

dixiehens

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 30, 2014
Gainesville Florida
Hi there, I have raised chickens before but never have encountered chicks fighting. Two of my Americana chicks just started fighting, they are flying at each other and such, what should I do?

Thank you!
hmm.png

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Chicks get cranky when they are too hot, cramped in or bored. So give them at least 1/2 square feet per chick in the brooder. Lower the temp 4 or 5 degrees to chill them out. Give them things to do. I like to put in a roost bar in the brooder, put a low box in there with sand, chick starter, dried leaves, alfalfa leaves, dirt, all kinds of things to scratch around in to keep them occupied. Put some branches in there too to climb on.

At some point your birds will start establishing the pecking order and will bump chests. This is normal. But if they are becoming aggressive you will need to do some rearranging of your brooder as I described above.

Field trips to the outside also help break up boredom. Get them outside in an enclosed area to keep them safe and let them play around a bit. Watch them carefully to keep them safe. Take them into the coop as well to get them started in becoming familiar with it.

Good luck with your chicks! I hope you can get them to co exist peacefully soon!

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
I'm glad you joined us.

TwoCrows has given you some good advice. Good luck with your chicks!

Back
Top Bottom