Chick Sex? Silkie Roo Father.

GuineaPig24

In the Brooder
Nov 7, 2023
I have more pictures of my three-day-old Orzo! (Hatched 7 am 11/7) I am still pretty confident the mom is my late BR, Primavera, but it could also be half EE like my other hens. (The coloring would make more sense if that is the case)
I know that at this point it is pretty much a waiting game for the gender, but I was curious if anyone had any solid ideas!
I am leaning towards female because of the staggered wing feathers, as well as the fact that there are already little baby tail feathers growing in. On the wings, the top feathers are much shorter than the bottom. I know people generally have decent luck with that test, even though it’s not totally accurate with backyard mix breeds like this goblin.
Thank you everyone for your help! 💕
IMG_0660.jpeg IMG_0661.jpeg IMG_0662.jpeg IMG_0665.jpeg

If the mom is the barred rock, the chick is a pullet, because all males would be barred, and have a little white head spot. Based on the coloring though, I think it’s a lot more likely that an Easter Egger was the mom, and in that case you’ll have to wait until about six weeks or so to tell the gender. Wing sexing only works on breeds specifically bred for it, so the shape of the wing means nothing at this point.

Are you sure a silkie is the father? I’m not seeing any silkie traits on the chick. What color is the silkie roo?

If the mom is the barred rock, the chick is a pullet, because all males would be barred, and have a little white head spot. Based on the coloring though, I think it’s a lot more likely that an Easter Egger was the mom, and in that case you’ll have to wait until about six weeks or so to tell the gender. Wing sexing only works on breeds specifically bred for it, so the shape of the wing means nothing at this point.

Are you sure a silkie is the father? I’m not seeing any silkie traits on the chick. What color is the silkie roo?
I see. Thank you for your help! :)
My three Roos are all silkie mixes! One is blue with silkie feathers, one is white with smooth feathers, and one is naked-neck with smooth feathers.
This baby has the extra toes and feathered legs that only my roosters have :)
IMG_0283.jpeg IMG_0281.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom