Chick shipment?

Poor chicks. I don't want to be rude or anything. But am I the only one who finds it odd to mail live animals? I know it's not allowed in Belgium and if they are shipped I would at least request same day delivery but of course belgium is not that large.

Hope the rest of the chicks survive. Good luck.

Last edited:
Poor chicks. I don't want to be rude or anything. But am I the only one who finds it odd to mail live animals? I know it's not allowed in Belgium and if they are shipped I would at least request same day delivery but of course belgium is not that large.

I kind of agree, if I'd known I could get them locally I would have never taken the chance. Or if I'd known the outcome, I certainly wouldn't have. BTW, I think she's one I got locally, but of course they're also shipped to the store. I'm trying my best to save her, but every time I check on her she seems worse off.

Hi James!
Keep trying to give her water...every 30 mins a drop or two.

Maybe she is just not meant to be...you can only really do so much...you know?

Good luck!!

Got her to take a little water, but she's still not well.
1f625.png

My sickly little girl:

She just died...
1f622.png
1f622.png
1f622.png

Not rude at all. But not all places have such bad reps for mailing chicks. Our 16 came in earlier than expected, and all healthy. Plus there aren't a lot of breeders that do a wide variety if your looking for a mixed flock for colorful plumage and egg color. We have 10 different breeds, and many I could find around my local area. Plus many people forget that these 'local' farm stores and places actually get there's in the mail and keep them for a few days before selling to assure their health before selling them. It really depend on where you order and how far. We had less than a day shipping, if it was days away from the hatchery I personally wouldn't order because that does seem to far away for safety. Plus not all places have good quality control sadly, but many places do and back it up with guarantee and have reviews freely posted for others to view.
Not to say that your wrong in this case, I agree on some cases shipping isn't the best case but for someone who can't get what they are looking for locally it's a nice option.

Not rude at all. But not all places have such bad reps for mailing chicks. Our 16 came in earlier than expected, and all healthy. Plus there aren't a lot of breeders that do a wide variety if your looking for a mixed flock for colorful plumage and egg color. We have 10 different breeds, and many I could find around my local area. Plus many people forget that these 'local' farm stores and places actually get there's in the mail and keep them for a few days before selling to assure their health before selling them. It really depend on where you order and how far. We had less than a day shipping, if it was days away from the hatchery I personally wouldn't order because that does seem to far away for safety. Plus not all places have good quality control sadly, but many places do and back it up with guarantee and have reviews freely posted for others to view.
Not to say that your wrong in this case, I agree on some cases shipping isn't the best case but for someone who can't get what they are looking for locally it's a nice option.
Sorry I mis wrote 'I *couldnt find* (not could find) most of the breeds I ordered' if I could have I would have bought local. The area in Vermont I live in is a very Chicken rich and many people I know have them, but don't ya know not the breeds I wanted! My luck
1f611.png

I honestly believe that chicks ordered, from ANY "site, that have to be shipped, have pretty close the same odds of survival, BUT
I have been reading a lot about doa's recently ...all ordered from a TSC.....hmmmm

Btw...Sorry for your nightmare.
How long where your chicks "in the mail"?

But chicks in stores all arrive the exact same way -- from hatcheries, via 2-day mail ...
Millions of birds arrived to post offices, TSC, other farm and ranch store last week with very, very few DOAs, so that is truly an anomaly.

Back
Top Bottom