Chick shipment?

I haven't nor will I be purchasing from Tractor Supply Online.

I think someone should start a new thread here on BYC.

TSC Ships Dead Birds!

Often it isn't the hatchery's fault. The weather can turn colder at certain times of the year or even hotter. The box can be mishandled or even lost for a day or two in transit. That is what happened to me two years ago and I haven't ordered shipped chicks since. Thankfully I do have the ability to raise my own and we have some feed stores that hatch from local hobby breeders. You can find breeders in your area or even check and see if any 4-H kids have chicken projects.
If you do order shipped chicks, try to have them shipped at a time of year when there aren't weather extremes And perhaps from the hatchery closest to you.
By the way, TSC does not ship chicks. They order from hatcheries and are nice enough to place your order with theirs. If the birds die in transit they are either mishandled or it takes too long or there is a temperature problem.
My shipment where I had DOA birds I thought I had ordered at a good time of year and it became unseasonably frigid. On top of that the post service lost them and they sat in a hub for two days and didn't arrive until the 4th day.
You just need to do what you can to stack the odds in your favor of getting healthy chicks.

Last edited:
Not rude at all. But not all places have such bad reps for mailing chicks. Our 16 came in earlier than expected, and all healthy. Plus there aren't a lot of breeders that do a wide variety if your looking for a mixed flock for colorful plumage and egg color. We have 10 different breeds, and many I could find around my local area. Plus many people forget that these 'local' farm stores and places actually get there's in the mail and keep them for a few days before selling to assure their health before selling them. It really depend on where you order and how far. We had less than a day shipping, if it was days away from the hatchery I personally wouldn't order because that does seem to far away for safety. Plus not all places have good quality control sadly, but many places do and back it up with guarantee and have reviews freely posted for others to view.
Not to say that your wrong in this case, I agree on some cases shipping isn't the best case but for someone who can't get what they are looking for locally it's a nice option.

Correct -- farm stores get the birds in the exact same way. They come from the hatcheries via the mail, using methods they have fine-tuned for decades. It is obviously in everyone's interest to have all chicks arrive happy and healthy. Still, even when hatcheries and post office employees take every precaution, some day-old birds will still not be strong enough to survive beyond the first day of life whether shipped or not.

They left Tuesday at 230pm Central time and arrived Friday at 530am Mtn time. Locally we have a tractor supply and a couple local farm and ran his stores. They all receive them in the mail as well. But they do keep them 24 hrs before they will sell them to make sure they are all healthy. I am glad they were willing to replace them or refund but that just seems to be a waste of life to me. I also don't think it is right for tractor supply to be able to pick and choose which reviews to post.

Reviews are actually handled by a third party vendor that has specific guidelines as to what reviews are posted. TSC and other retailers have nothing to do with this process. Typically a review is disapproved because of things like mentioning specific pricing from other sources, bad language, etc.

I haven't nor will I be purchasing from Tractor Supply Online.

I think someone should start a new thread here on BYC.

TSC Ships Dead Birds!

Hi there, you understand that TSC doesn't ship any birds. They are sent from the hatchery at a day old and any number of issues can come into play, from unexpected weather to mishandling at the post office or airport, to other issues after arrival at home. However, because these hatcheries are NPIP-certified and are best in class in shipping, tens of millions of birds arrive happy and healthy to families, TSC, and other farm and ranch stores all over the country every week.

No one wants to deal with the heartache of lost birds, and it's simply unfortunate. Even when every precaution is taken, some birds will still not be strong enough to survive beyond the first day of life, whether shipped or bought locally.

I am not trying to step on anyone's efforts to bring back needy chicks
It's tough to watch them struggle to live. That said, most helps need to be digested. That's a problem because these babies have an immature digestive tract. In their weakened state they cannot uptake enough of the helps to turn the tide in their favor. They struggle ND eventually the need surpasses the supply of nutrients they are able to uptake... When that happens, the body systems start a Cascade of failure and the chick died. It is not the owners fault. It is just a misfit between the helps and the chicks ability to absorb them. This is where bovidr labs poultry nutri-drench comes on. It's not what you give them, it's what they can absorb. Drench does not need to be digested. It mainlines direct into the bloodstream. Bypassing the chicks weakness to deliver nutrition And energy. Jumpstarting the g. I. Tract, helping restore the immune system, combating travel stress And the runs, and constipation. The molasses in it helps encourage growth of healthy bacteria in the digestive tract. Measureable in the bloodstream in 11 minutes . All natural. Give each chick one drop only by mouth. For needy chicks repeat every 8-10 hours. Put 1/2 teaspoon in a quart of water for first two weeks to get them off to a strong start.
HTTP://www.nutridrench.com
Best, Karen

Last edited:
I am not trying to step on anyone's efforts to bring back needy chicks
It's tough to watch them struggle to live. That said, most helps need to be digested. That's a problem because these babies have an immature digestive tract. In their weakened state they cannot uptake enough of the helps to turn the tide in their favor. They struggle ND eventually the need surpasses the supply of nutrients they are able to uptake... When that happens, the body systems start a Cascade of failure and the chick died. It is not the owners fault. It is just a misfit between the helps and the chicks ability to absorb them. This is where bovidr labs poultry nutri-drench comes on. It's not what you give them, it's what they can absorb. Drench does not need to be digested. It mainlines direct into the bloodstream. Bypassing the chicks weakness to deliver nutrition And energy. Jumpstarting the g. I. Tract, helping restore the immune system, combating travel stress And the runs, and constipation. Measureable in the bloodstream in 11 minutes . All natural. Give each chick one drop only by mouth. For needy chicks repeat every 8-10 hours. Put 1/2 teaspoon in a quart of water for first two weeks to get them off to a strong start.
HTTP://www.nutridrench.com
Best, Karen

I have never heard nutra-drench explained so well. Thank you .

I bought 10 chicks from TSC and they were all in great shape when they got to my post office. They were all chatting up a storm. When I got them home I found out they shipped 11. I dunked their little beaks in sugar water and game them starter food. I would
recommend TSC online to anyone for buying chicks. Very happy with TSC.

I forgot to mention I live in Arizona, and they were all in good shape on arrival.
thumbsup.gif
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom