Chick sleep patterns

penella22

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 24, 2014
So I've been reading <a href="http://www.amazon.com/Chicken-Every...25990&sr=1-1&keywords=a+chicken+in+every+yard">"A Chicken In Every Yard"</a> and one of the things it mentions is that chickens go into a comatose state at night--hence they are very susceptible to predators.

I have a few questions about this.

1. My 2 week old chicks do seem quieter by midnight or so, but are never comatose like this. Is it because the heat lamp is on, or because chicks don't do this, only adult chickens do?
  2. If you turn on a light in the middle of the night do adult chickens come out of their comatose state?
  3. How many people use this fact to their advantage and do most of their medical handling of chickens at night?

I have one chick that is 2 weeks old today that has a prolapsed vent. She's slower than the other chicks, but very wary of me atm, so I have not been able to pick her up. Wondering if I need to put the ecobrooder back in and take the heat lamp out in order to create comatose state so that I can treat her with witch hazel and maybe push things back in?

Thanks for any help / advice!

the lack of light is what causes this I'm pretty sure. since chicks are under a heat lamp giving of continuous light u wont really see them in this state. People do take advantage by doing certain things at night. One aspect is when dealing with a broody. people should always slip eggs or chicks under a broody at night.
I think that even if u turn on a light when they are in this state they will not suddenly 'wake up'. I have done this with a strong flashilight when I have gone out to the coop at night and they still seem pretty out of it

Thanks for the reply, that's useful to know. I set up the ecobrooder again tonight so I can turn off the heat lamp and hopefully treat the chick with a prolapsed vent.

Back
Top Bottom