Chick started limping

Nlocke81079

Hatching
Mar 12, 2023
We have a 6 day old chick that was fine and healthy. This afternoon they started limping and favoring their right leg. We separated her to avoid getting further injury and examined her to see if it would stimulate healing. This morning her little foot was all curled up and she would not stand on it. We did the bandage on her foot to "splint" it. What else can we do?

Welcome To BYC

Can you post photos of her and her foot?
Any bruising, swelling or discoloration of the foot, leg or joint?
What do you feed?
How much room do you have in the brooder?

I'd start getting vitamins into her. Give 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily.

7fb28546-0bab-4019-9293-43d1e9d122ac.2a10ba8f3c5d0dc051ed79710c341668.jpeg

A chick mix with vitamins etc. I will grab a photo but I have it wrapped with a bandaid splint. She is eating, I'm giving her water, and no visible signs of anything mentioned above. The only notable thing is she was pulling it up toward her, keeping it off the ground, and this morning her whole foot was curled up and it wouldn't open when put on the ground.

A chick mix with vitamins etc. I will grab a photo but I have it wrapped with a bandaid splint. She is eating, I'm giving her water, and no visible signs of anything mentioned above. The only notable thing is she was pulling it up toward her, keeping it off the ground, and this morning her whole foot was curled up and it wouldn't open when put on the ground.
Do you mean chick starter? Is it a crumble or loose whole type feed?

Get her started on the B-Complex and see how that goes. Some leg issues are due to vitamin deficiency. Some are not, but it's worth trying vitamin therapy to see if there's improvement.

Back
Top Bottom