chick starter/grower feed

NeeCee51

Chirping
6 Years
Aug 12, 2013
I have read different articles on what to feed chicks and when to start them on grower then on adult feed. I thought we should feed chick starter till they are around 8 weeks then grower( when they are teenagers) and at the age of around 18 weeks they go on adult food (layer), I went to a local feed store because it was time to switch them to grower and they told me I should keep them on chick starter till they start to lay. They are getting pretty big and I think they need something more. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, NeeCee51

I am not sure of the brand. Got it at a feed store and on the bag it does say to feed it till they start to lay. To me it's just like the chick starter. I did buy some from a site called peck & feed. That is a grower feed. I sure have a lot of feed on my hands. Do u think it would be OK to mix them and give a little of both?

I am not sure of the brand. Got it at a feed store and on the bag it does say to feed it till they start to lay. To me it's just like the chick starter. I did buy some from a site called peck & feed. That is a grower feed. I sure have a lot of feed on my hands. Do u think it would be OK to mix them and give a little of both?
Then it's more than likely the starter/grower feed. I can't see there being a problem mixing the two together. Usually when you switch feeds that's what they recommend you do, especially different brands where some ingredients tend to be a little different between brands. Here we use a brand called CountryRite. You feed starter until 7 weeks, then switch to grower until they lay their first egg, then it's layer pellets, what makes it easy is the instructions are on the bag with the list of ingredients...lol

Yes that's what I understood when I got my chicks. I am going to mix them because the grower feed has little pieces of corn and other things. The chick started seems kind of bland to me. Thanks for all your help..

Hi NeeCee, thank you for asking the question as I was in need of the same information.
My Isa chicks are 9 weeks and the starter feed has run out...on to Flock Raiser...Thanks

Is that the feed you will feed even when they are adults or are you switching to another one...

Your Isa chickens look a lot like buff orpingtons. I wonder if that's what I have??

I have read different articles on what to feed chicks and when to start them on grower then on adult feed. I thought we should feed chick starter till they are around 8 weeks then grower( when they are teenagers) and at the age of around 18 weeks they go on adult food (layer), I went to a local feed store because it was time to switch them to grower and they told me I should keep them on chick starter till they start to lay. They are getting pretty big and I think they need something more. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, NeeCee51
Not all feed mixes, brands etc,. are the same. This might go against "conventional" wisdom, but really it is best to follow the directions of the manufacturer. If the manufacturer recommends feeding it to them until POL. Feed it to them until point of lay.

Everyone thinks they know better. Somehow we are all poultry nutritionist.

The only thing these professionally formulated rations are short on is fat. It goes bad fast. It is a worthwhile supplement consideration. I would recommend HULLED sunflower seeds, thrown to them as a treat to replace scratch. Other than that, I would do noting other than what the reputable manufacturer recommends.

Back
Top Bottom