Chick still ill after vet?

1234chicken4321

Songster
May 14, 2020
Hi,
Long story short I had five 2 week old chicks but three died after they all contracted some respiratory problem. I felt so bad for the gasping little guys o tool them to the vets around the start of the month and got some medicine. 2 weeks on that hadn't cured the last two so we've switched medicine (enrobactin) and 4 days on it still doesnt seem to make a difference. One chick is worse than the other and now has stunted growth. It still runs, eats and cheeps but often just stands gasping.
I just feel bad because they've been in a (big and clean) inside pen all this time so not to infect my other chickens and I don't know what else to do :(. Anyone had a similar experience?

Where did the chicks come from? Chicks usually do not get respiratory diseases unless they have been exposed to a carrier, or we bring them in on our clothes or shoes. They can pass MG through a hatching egg, and wild birds can of course, expose our chickens from waterers or feeders. Antibiotics might help symptoms of a bacterial disease such as MG or coryza, but viruses will not respond to antibiotics. Baby chicks are very susceptible to most anything though. Keeping bedding dry, clean, preventing water spills and ammonia odors from droppings, along with keeping overhead ventilation good is the best way to minimize the chances of diseases.

Where did the chicks come from? Chicks usually do not get respiratory diseases unless they have been exposed to a carrier, or we bring them in on our clothes or shoes. They can pass MG through a hatching egg, and wild birds can of course, expose our chickens from waterers or feeders. Antibiotics might help symptoms of a bacterial disease such as MG or coryza, but viruses will not respond to antibiotics. Baby chicks are very susceptible to most anything though. Keeping bedding dry, clean, preventing water spills and ammonia odors from droppings, along with keeping overhead ventilation good is the best way to minimize the chances of diseases.
They're from our chickens eggs, hatched naturally. None of my other chickens show any symptoms, but they could have caught it from pheasants. Do you know how long it would have the virus for?

Back
Top Bottom