Chick suddenly not walking

Cereal

Songster
6 Years
Jul 27, 2014
2-3 week chick laying most the time. Takes two steps then down on its belly. They were all walking for the first couple weeks, but now I just noticed eating but not moving about anymore. I tried having it walk in the grass or flat surface but same thing. I am trying to figure out if its both legs or just one side. I will try to take a video.

It might have suffered an injury, but a slipped tendon or leg bone deformity might be possible. If you can get the chick carefully on the floor or table and take a clear picture of it standing from the front? Look for the leg out to the side or twisted, or curled under toes. I would start a vitamin such as B complex tablets—give a small piece daily, or a chick vitamin that has riboflavin on the label, such as Poultry Cell.

thanks. I think the mom may have stepped on her because it is new and she is an older chick that did not display this until now. trying lots of things but will need to get supplements at the store today. we felt her legs for hours last night massaging and trying to see where the pain was whether knee or hip or tendon. I put her in a chick chair sling so her legs could dangle.

Last edited:
Many adults keep human vitamin B complex tablets or super B at home. These tablets can be grated or crushed onto food or dissolved into water. Don’t confuse it with B12 which is not the same. Working with her to get her to stand and helping her get plenty to eat and drink are important. You can also make her a chick chair or sling to place her food and water right in front of her:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

Back
Top Bottom