Chick swallowed twine, now dieing

Can you feel the string in the crop? I've had to open a crop once. It's not pretty and not something I would want to do on a chick. She'll slowly starve this way, it would be best to put her down.

On the dogs eating things that impact the intestines... my mom and dad's doberman had a fetish for my mom's nylons. She ate one once, to the tune of $1800 of surgery. She did it again a few months later, pulled open the drawer of the dresser to get the nylons out. Stupid dog and her fetish. My dad said that's it, she either passes the nylons or she doesn't, he was so mad at that dog! She did, and that's a whole other story in itself in pulling out that long strand of nylon.
ep.gif
Believe it or not, she lived for 9 yrs after that to the old age of 14, probably because my mom starting putting her nylons on the top shelf of the closet. Just trying to enlighten your situation. I hope your chick pulls through, but chances are it's caused a blockage. Last ditch effort would be a lot of mineral oil to try to push it through.

Have you been giving her ACV? The acidity may help break down the string. Chicks/chickens will die the most quickly from dehydration in a situation such as this, so it's super important to keep her hydrated if she won't drink on her own. On the ACV, don't give full strength; it's a bit too strong. But mix it stronger than you normally would, and give her dropperfulls. That, and some grit, just may do the trick. Also, you might try chopping some fresh tomato; they are usually attracted to the color, and 'maters are acidic, too, so this may also help dissolve the strong. GOOD LUCK!

She didn't like yogurt, but I only had flavored stuff "in stock".

I have been giving her a yoke/chick feed broth with a dropper someone suggested, she likes that. I gave a couple of moths too, which she really liked, after I forced the first one on her. But she is still lethargic.

I can't get her to eat on her own (have to play food games), but I have seen her drink. She won't take the ACV, she won't take a chick feed/electrolyte slurry either. I have to get more protein in her.

I hate to put her down because her situation was all my fault.

Sorry about the mis-hap
sad.png
We all make mistakes and learn from them though!!

I have a cat who eats EVERYTHING.. Its so weird.. she has like this fetish and its dangerous ! Ive found so many different things in her poop you wouldn't even believe >.< Rubber bands.. Hair elastics.. chunks of plastic bags, she loves chewing and swalling plastic bags.. ITS TERRIBLE! I catch her in the act sometimes and slowly pull it out of her mouth but usually shes already swallowed a bunch.. if I'm lucky it strings out of her throat but usually I find it in her poop.

She does seem to pass it on her own though.. Only time we had a problem was when she went to be spaid. Vet's said NO FOOD OR WATER 24 hours before surgery.. So we didnt feed her.. but when we brought her in, they removed a giant ball of coloured paper strings from a HULA SKIRT!!!... They sent us a bill from removing that chunk from her intestines. Not cool...

Just trying to lighten up your situation for you
sad.png
Maybe your chick will pass it! If you keep her other vitals strong she probably has a good chance, I have faith. But don't feel guilty for it, My cat eats tons of non-edible items, and theres nothing I can do about it! She will literally eat anything stringy in sight. Whether I catch her or not, she'll continue eating this stuff.. Accidents happen
sad.png

I hope you're chick is okay and wish you the best of luck!! Hang in there ! I have faith.

Whether you "gave" her the string or not, this stuff happens. Do NOT beat yourself up. Pat yourself on the back for everything you are doing for her today.

We bring one of our girls in the house all the time. Last night my daughter pulled a hair out of her beak. Along with it came this chunk of thick nylon thread/material. The whole thing was about 12-15 inches long. We think it was a carpet thread and fiber that she pecked up thinking it was a tasty worm.

We'd be in your same shoes (or similar) had my daughter not happened to have pulled it out. It was pure luck.

ANOTHER THING YOU CAN TRY: Drip olive oil on her beak, so she "drinks" it when she smacks her beak and consumes it. This is suggested for an impacted crop to make things slippery and slide through. I know people have been suggesting minerial oil, but I know I don't have that on hand but I definitely have olive oil.

I'm sitting on the edge of my chair waiting to hear a positive result. Hang in there! She's made it this far....

YES!! I got her to eat chick food. I put her back into the brooder and made some wet chick feed and gave it to everyone. If the others are eating it, it must be good, right
smile.png
She ate like a pig.

Back
Top Bottom