Chick that runns backward - normal?

New chicken family

In the Brooder
12 Years
May 6, 2007
Madison WI
I have a 2 1/2 week old Leghorn (?sex?) that runs backwards! It (Sammy) is still in the brooder, and runs into the walls. Sammy does it alot - not just when startled.
Is this normal for this breed?
Does Sammy have some neuro-disorder?
Weird - huh?

this is neurological symptoms and no it is not normal... might have gotten hold of a moldy something or migh have some sort of vitamin deficiency... VitE/selenium combination works well for this (ensure the selenium content is not higher than 50 MICROgrams)... just prick open tab and give in beak...once a day for a week and then slowly taper off.

He/she still runs backward - but otherwise is acting, eating, pooping, drinking normal.....
I am going to try some apple cider vinegar in their water today.

I posted about this a month or so ago. I gave my chick Avia Charge 2000 (available from McMurray or Stromberg's hatcheries), which is a complete blend of vitamins, minerals, etc. that you put in their water. I may have seen that recommendation from dlhunicorn some place--I did so much googling on the topic that I can't be sure! But anyway, it did the trick!

Don't wait until the chick is in bad shape. I would urge you to give the vitamins dlhunicorn recommended or some avia charge right away. The neck may just keep "crooking" until he/she can't drink, then it will be practically impossible to treat.

Good luck!

Sammy puts her head down and runs backwards.....
What do you mean:

The neck may just keep "crooking" until he/she can't drink, then it will be practically impossible to treat.

By the way it seems to be getting better.....
I havn't seen her do it in the last few days.
I put ACV in their water today.

If I see it again I will look into the Avia Charge 2000.
Thanks!

That's great that she's getting better!! With mine, she would put her head down and go backward occasionally at first (I initially thought she had a bad itch), then it got to where her neck was all... crooked, I guess. Reminded me of a swan. After a few days she just couldn't hold her head upright like normal. Hard to explain, but she looked odd. She would run into things because she couldn't look straight ahead, and she didn't join the others in their silly games. Fortunately she never stopped being able to eat or drink, and gradually her neck straightened out. Some people call this condition "crookneck" which is where I got the term "crooking," though I guess that really isn't a word, now that you mention it.
smile.png

Good luck, I hope she keeps improving!

Back
Top Bottom