Chick too overzealous with the plants

Micoylf

In the Brooder
Jun 28, 2023
Hi! Had a quick question as this is my first time raising chicks and I don’t know wether to be concerned or not. One of my 2week old chicks got a little too excited about the herbs put in their brooder and horked down about a 6in stem of oregano (they had to yank it out of its little pot to do this, the gremlin)
I saw them running around the brooder with still about and inch and a half of stem sticking out of their mouth and they didn’t seem able to get the rest down. I caught them and gently eased out as much of the stem as i could (only about 2 inches) and snipped off the stem and let them back into the brooder.
Should i be concerned?? Can the little chick process that long a piece of greens okay? They don’t show any signs of distress but im scared hearing from other chicken-keepers that baby chicks sometimes will just drop dead and im worried that its gonna be too much on their little guts

I would make a container of grit as a 2-week old chick won't be able to properly "digest" that. I make a small little bin I have they can get in and scratch around in and take dust baths in. It's just garden dirt with a dash of DE (food-grade diatomaceous earth).

Back
Top Bottom