Chick with bent toe, sticking plaster?

ShortHenTallPen

Chirping
5 Years
Jan 18, 2015
Ontario, Canada

Got my first batch of chicks yesterday, and they're doing great — at least, they seem to be, to this first-time chick-mom!

There's one who needed some TLC though, with pasty-butt and a bent toe. I washed and dried his butt, but he was unable to stand or balance, poor little guy (or gal!). I straightened out his toe with a sticking plaster bootie, but now it's getting a bit dirty, and I'm not sure how to best care for it. Do I keep it on, and wash and dry it, or do I take it off and apply fresh stick plaster?

I'm hesitant about taking the plaster off, as I don't want to damage his foot by repeatedly peeling it off, but maybe this would be a good opportunity to check that the toe is still healthy under there?

I got a snap of him with the booty, but I forgot to get one of the toe before putting it on. It was healthy andd pink/same colour as other toes, but just completely bent to the side - it was the middle toe.

He's a Buff Orpington, and the smallest chick of the bunch, but he's perked up a ton since I washed his butt and put the sticking plaster on him and he's able to get around.

Advice really appreciated!! :)

Last edited:
Advice really appreciated!!
smile.png

I found that if the correction is done early on, it usually only needs to stay on for a couple of days, three at the most.

The last time I had that problem, I used a thin bit of wire, and two strips of vet wrap... they worked very nicely and it was nice because there was no sticking to the toes.

I used to always use tape.... I liked the vet wrap so much better.. it also gave the chick better traction.

Thank you so much! The vet wrap is a great idea, although by the time I pick some up today, probably not worth applying to this one... At least I'll have it for any future things like this though!

I just picked off the dirt from the sticking plaster, and he/she is still doing great, so looking forward to seeing what the toe looks like when I can take it off. Hopefully a nice straight toe that will be functional :)

Thank you so much! The vet wrap is a great idea, although by the time I pick some up today, probably not worth applying to this one... At least I'll have it for any future things like this though!

I just picked off the dirt from the sticking plaster, and he/she is still doing great, so looking forward to seeing what the toe looks like when I can take it off. Hopefully a nice straight toe that will be functional
smile.png

good luck!
big_smile.png

Good job on the splint!

You could always try soaking it in warm water for awhile before trying to peel it off.
They often come off the the bath/shower when you don't want them too.

Put just enough water to cover the foot in a cup that's too small for the chick to sit down in.
Maybe even try to carefully cut away as much of the plaster as possible before soaking.

Last edited:
Good job on the splint!

You could always try soaking it in warm water for awhile before trying to peel it off.
They often come off the the bath/shower when you don't want them too.

Put just enough water to cover the foot in a cup that's too small for the chick to sit down in.
Maybe even try to carefully cut away as much of the plaster as possible before soaking.

Thank you - great idea! I never thought of soaking it, although have eczema, and plasters coming off in the shower is a real annoyance! I'll definitely give that a try :)

Back
Top Bottom