Chick with bug eyes

Ducks-R-Us

Songster
10 Years
Jul 23, 2009
North Dakota
Two days ago we hatched out a faverolle and its eyes were HUGE!!!!! It was the only deformation i could see...btw it's the cutest deformation I have ever seen. I really hopes it lives cuz it's adorable!
love.gif

37433_quail_and_chicks_068.jpg

look at those humungous eyes!!
ep.gif

37433_quail_and_chicks_049.jpg

bug eyes VS. normal faverolle below
37433_quail_and_chicks_050.jpg

^^^^normal chick^^^^

That's the cutest chick ever!!! I can't imagine that whatever caused her eyes to develop so large would be harmful, but I don't know about these things... I hope she lives a long healthy life...here's wishing you the best, and please, post pics when she grows up!
big_smile.png

the little one sure is cute and i hate to say it but it looks like hydrocephalus . Symptoms include but are not limited to- dome shaped head , bulging eyes , "soft spots" along the skull , seizures , lethargy , decrease or cease in water intake and food. The "bulging" of the eyes is the result of pressure around the brain from fluid accumulation. Some patients show no symptoms at first. sometimes symptoms wax and wane but it almost every case (with animals with hydrocephalus) it is terminal and patients usually die before the 16th week of life.
I hope I am wrong .
Good luck
and please keep us posted.

She blinks fine and hasn't had any seizures or anything yet. But ur probably right about the hydrocephalus thing, even though I wish u weren't. But that's just the circle of life I guess....I hope she lives anyways tho
fl.gif
it's just soo darn cute

I received a Fav 2 years ago this Oct from Ideal that had 1 bulging eye just like yours. Eventually, after a few weeks it clouded up and must've ruptured but it is now shrunken, a white color, and she is blind in that eye. But she is a sweetie and lays almost everyday. I did name her Buggaboo
hide.gif
because her bugged out eye. Good luck with your baby, hopefully everything will turn out ok
fl.gif

I know this is an old thread, but I just had a salmon Fav hatch with the exact same deformity. Her lids can cover her entire eye, fortunately, but I do fear it is a signal of some brain issues. How long did your chick live? Mine seems to be mobile and doing fine, so I am not going to cull unless she becomes distressed. Just curious -

Back
Top Bottom