Chick with injured knee/leg (red/purple?)

cephalophile

In the Brooder
Jul 18, 2022
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
Speckled Sussex, 3-4 days old, smaller than the others

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
Limping favoring right leg. Uses were wings to balance herself, hobble along. Leg shakes a little when being held, she doesn't move her toes much (but can).

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
Less than 24 hours - happened overnight right after being introduced to broody hen (all the others are fine - I'm thinking she may have gotten squashed, pinned or pecked hard)

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
No

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
It looks like it's red or bruised right above her knee

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
We had a broody hen we gave chicks too. We didn't have a chance to move her to our brooding coop/run before chicks arrived. I went out the morning after introduction to find two bopping around the floor of the coop (the one with all the other big chickens). This one was in front of another. nesting box that was being used -it's possible she was pecked but I didn't see it happen. (We moved them all right after this and all the rest are doing very well).

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Water, egg yolk, sav-a-chik, her regular crumbles. She's enthusiastic about it too!

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Normal if a little runny, but that's because I started pumping the hydration fearing it was dehydration or vitamin/electrolyte imbalance.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Sav-a-chick, water, isolation in a small box with heat and everything she needs nearby. Regular feeding of watered down egg yolk.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
We'd like to heal ourselves if possible. More than happy to handcraft any splints. Also happy to hand raise her if that's the case.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
Small TSC pine shavings in a tiny cardboard box right now. When I found her injured it was normal pine shavings in a big coop

Hi all! Hoping for some help. We got 8 chicks for a broody hen and did the ol' swaperoo. It went great except for this one chick who the next morning was limping. We tried to keep her with mom and siblings for a bit to see if it was temporary, but alas she kept getting toppled and trampled. She had popped out of her nesting box and possibly injured herself or may have been injured by another broody hen.

Hoping it was a minor injury I brought her inside and nursed her for the night, gave her some vitamins, electrolytes, feed. She took all of it readily! She’s strong but limping. She holds her right leg up like she doesn’t want to put weight on it and hobbles and flaps and balances on her wings when she tries to move. Her toes curl a bit (originally I suspected curly toe paralysis that’s why I started the vitamins), but I’m starting to think it’s just because it hurts her to move them (she can kinda move them).

I was inspecting her knees to see if it was a slipped tendon but to the best of my ability (I’ve never experienced it before so I don’t 100% know what I’m looking for) it doesn’t seem so. I did, however, notice that right above her knee in her inner thigh is deep red - like a bruise maybe? So I’m wondering if she broke her femur or knee :(

Suggestions anyone? I’ll include some pics here. TIA!

Her standing:

Her good leg:

Her bad leg:

Closeup on her bad leg (it’s hard to see the red/purpleness in the lighting):

The position I found her in:

Video:

Good news everyone! I brought her in for about 5 days and nights. Gave her chick feed, watered down yolk and electrolytes. She’d stay inside most of the time with me at my desk (WFH) and I played chick noises for her all day. We’d take trips outside several times a day for her interact with her sisters and eventually she healed up enough. She’s now outside full time with her sisters and mama again (who is a very accepting hen, thankfully) and doing wonderfully.

I’m thinking it was just a bad sprain or bruise. No splinting needed, she healed on her own with rest :) I have named her Pip since that’s what she did all day at my desk haha “pip pip pip pip! Pip pip pip pip!”

Here’s her and her big sister Sophie:

Back
Top Bottom