Chick with no nostrils

yadaguhtoo

Songster
8 Years
Jun 14, 2011
Washington State
Hello everyone, I have not been on here in quite awhile, but now I'm back. I have a chick that is about 3 months old now and she is half the size of the others in her group. I was looking at her today and noticed she does not have a nostril on one side and on the other side she just has a tiny slit. Has anyone had this happen before. I have brought her in the house now in a cozy cage because she was not being able to keep up with the rest of the flock. She is on the skinny side, and it seems her legs are short also........I just hope she is strong enough to survive as I have grown very attached, but she definitely has some disabilities.
IMG_1354.JPG

Haven't heard of this before. Poor baby :( Does she seem able to breath through her mouth okay?
Yes she seems to be just fine other then being small, I have never seen this before either. She was hatched her by a hen here on the farm, she is a barnyard mix, but a very pretty lavender color. We had Lavender Orpingtons about four years ago, but they were not very hardy birds and I gave most of them away.....she must be a throwback somehow. She eats a lot but hasn't seemed to gain much weight, I am thinking of adding some scrambled egg to her diet.

Yes she seems to be just fine other then being small, I have never seen this before either. She was hatched her by a hen here on the farm, she is a barnyard mix, but a very pretty lavender color. We had Lavender Orpingtons about four years ago, but they were not very hardy birds and I gave most of them away.....she must be a throwback somehow. She eats a lot but hasn't seemed to gain much weight, I am thinking of adding some scrambled egg to her diet.

seems it will end up being one of those you wait to tell as enlarging your photo I see no definite nostril on the one side and very small one on the other.. It will be up to you in the end I am sorry

seems it will end up being one of those you wait to tell as enlarging your photo I see no definite nostril on the one side and very small one on the other.. It will be up to you in the end I am sorry
Thank you. Yes, I am afriad she is going to be one of those "failure to thrive" chicks, but I am going to give her the best chance I can.

I had a chick a while ago, and she was the same size as a two week old at nine weeks. She still peeped when her peers clucked, she had almost no feathers, and ended up dead on the coop floor at week 10. She was an extreme example of "failure to thrive" we decided.

This may sound extreme, but any chance a vet could take a tiny drill, like a dental drill, and create a nostril on one side and/ or enlarge the other?? The problem with birth defects like that, they almost always come in multiples, so she could also have birth defects in her heart, lungs, etc. You already mentioned short legs which might be another defect...good luck and keep us posted. I am rooting for your "special needs" chicken!

Back
Top Bottom