Chick with pelvic deformity - Updated pics

RiddleMe

Songster
8 Years
Feb 8, 2011
Central Oregon
I have a 6 day old columbian wyandotte chick, weighs 1 3/4oz, right in range with the other chicks of same age, Cackle hatchery. She has what appears to be a pelvic deformity, on palpation it doesn't feel like a tumor, feels just like the other chicks pelvic areas, but "hanging" low. With gentle pressure I can push it up "in place", which didn't seem to upset her. She is eating, drinking, active, pooping, only indication of a problem is she walks slightly bow-legged, exactly as expected with a big lump hanging between her legs. Anyone experienced anything like this? The green in the pics is from the warmer that came with the chicks.

Last edited:
Hmmm. I wonder if that is not some sort of congenital herniation. I will bet its repairable if you really want to spend the money to fix it. I wonder if she will survive long-term if you opt to leave it be. I don't see why she wouldn't with a little luck.

Interesting.

Last edited:
Definitely seems to be a hernia, since you can push it into place. I think she would live normally, just gotta be careful because her organs can be damaged more easily, and I have no idea how she would do when she reached laying age (if it's a she).

Maybe you could try to wrap/tape her up in a little vetwrap body sling/cast to see if her stuff could eventually stay up on its own? Or it may be something that she would always have to wear.

Maybe you could try to wrap/tape her up in a little vetwrap body sling/cast to see if her stuff could eventually stay up on its own? Or it may be something that she would always have to wear.
I agree with this idea. i had a friend with a similar problem. She used a parrot diaper. dont laugh, they actually sell those.

A truss would prevent the hernia (if that is what it is) from strangulating any organs, relieve discomfort and prevent worsening of the condition, but it would not likely repair the causative factor. A hernia is a weakness or hole in the muscular wall. It is not going to repair itself, unfortunately. It needs to be stitched closed and often reinforced with a type of permanent mesh inserted to strengthen the weakened area. It's a simple fix, but it is a surgical procedure with all the risks that surgery entails.

I agree with this idea. i had a friend with a similar problem. She used a parrot diaper. dont laugh, they actually sell those.

Lol! I have parrots and do have two little diapers for two of the conures, that I never use because they hate them. I did put one on a baby chick so i could have it on the couch without any accidents, and the chick refused to walk and just laid there looking ticked off. It was pretty funny.

Truss that chick up and see how it goes. My only concern would bee eggs if it's a girl. If it's a boy, he'll just have to wear an outfit all the time.

I didn't even think of a hernia, I should have considering it wouldn't be my first experience with one (DS had one when born). But it fits given how quickly it appeared, I know it wasn't there two days ago. If it is, then given the size, relatively speaking, I'm thinking its a pretty good sized weak area. I'm not a drastic measures kind of person, especially on an animal this young (ie no surgery), I may try coming up with some sort of sling to see if that helps relieve the pressure. I'm actually kinda hoping the hatchery was wrong and it's a boy just because if it does make it to laying age, that will introduce a whole new set of risks. From the reading I've done on here, the outcome on these things isn't good, seems like most folks loose the bird to rupture sooner or later. It might be best to just start thinking of her as a meat bird candidate...
sad.png

Some updated pics, happily whatever it was seems to have resolved itself, so I'm leaning towards a hernia.

Chick at 2 weeks

Chick at 4 weeks

Back
Top Bottom