Chick with presumed pecking wound

MenervaGladysandPenny

In the Brooder
Apr 27, 2023
Hello!

I have 3 week old chicks. I noticed one has a presumed small pecking injury on her face. I noticed it today when we were holding her. It’s a bit red but not actively bleeding, about the size of a pea. I cleaned it and applied hen healer. The chicks took an immense interest in this, and most of the hen healer is gone. I’ve been keeping an eye on the chick and otherwise she is doing well. I have noticed an occasional peck to her wound. I want to put on a thick layer of hen healer, but am wondering if I should leave it alone for now. What are your thoughts? How aggressive should I be with intervening again?

I’m getting them into a bigger brooder in the next few days. They are currently @ 1sq/ft per bird, and I am moving them to 2sq/ft per bird. I haven’t noticed any other picking or abnormal behavior.

Thank you for your time!

What breeds are these chicks?
How many birds are there?
How many of what genders are there?

The breeds matter, if you have a docile breed with an aggressive breed, that might be the reason this is happening.
Or if you have two different aggressive breeds that could also be an issue.

What breeds are these chicks?
How many birds are there?
How many of what genders are there?

The breeds matter, if you have a docile breed with an aggressive breed, that might be the reason this is happening.
Or if you have two different aggressive breeds that could also be an issue.
Hello! I have 10 chicks. 5 mixed Easter eggers, 3 speckled Sussex, and 2 barred rock. The chick Im concerned about is a mid size Easter egger. The chicks were bought sexed, not as straight run, but i cannot yet identify any accidental cockerels.

The barred rocks are definitely the problem birds here. Separate them and see what happens
I doubt the Sussex’s have anything to do with this but I’d watch them as well.
You can't make blanket statements across breeds, birds are individuals.
Safe to presume they are ALL partaking in the picking. Once there is an open sore like that in the brooder they will all lock onto it.

Back
Top Bottom