Chick with swollen foot

Birds get a condition called bumble foot....there will be a pimple looking growth on the pad of it's foot.
The growth will have a yellowish cheesey looking core that you can pull out. Then put iodine on it.......it could have been accidentally hurt and it`s infected. OTC antibiotic can be give. It could just be physically deformed.

Did you ever figure out what this was? ?? I have a chick with a swollen foot and leg and can't find any answers

Did you ever figure out what this was? ?? I have a chick with a swollen foot and leg and can't find any answers
There are black scabs on the foot if I am seeing the pic correctly. Typically in bumblefoot you do see a black scab, with a cheesy material inside that is pus in chickens, I have read on BYC.

That looks like bumblefoot that has traveled up the leg to me. But I have not dealt with a serious case of it before and so it is good for you to read these links to see if you think that is what it is- also search BYC for bumblefoot.

This could be a life threatening problem for your chicken if that is what it is, since it is very dangerous if it travels up the leg.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/693821/best-antibiotic-for-bumblefoot
see post #4
This would be going systemic if you think she has a fever in my opinion and you may want to consider antibiotics and/or see a vet. So check to see if the affected leg is warmer than the unaffected leg? Is it hot?

If I saw that in my flock I would give an antibiotic and try to do some of what Speckledhen said in her post as well. I don't give antibiotics for just a black scab- but that leg looks bad to me.

Here:
http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/pou.../overview_of_staphylococcosis_in_poultry.html
see under clinical findings

Wear gloves when you handle this bird and use good handwashing. If you are pregnant don't handle the birds as staph is transmissible, if that is what this is.

To prevent bumblefoot make sure your roosts aren't too high, that they don't walk on something like fencing that could damage the foot or cause little nicks in the feet. Sometimes it just shows up anyway no matter what you do. Keep bedding dry, etc.

You may want to start your own thread to get more responses!
I hope this helps.

Thanks for replying. I don't belive it is bumble foot this is a 4 week old chick. Plus I did give her antibiotics last week for 4 days. Today I picked off the scab and squeezeed it nothing is in there. Also I have started my own thread :( no one has replied on it. I did one last week when I thought it might be bummble foot. And then I stated one today. I am wondering if something bit her. But thank you so mich for replying and giving me the links I will read them.

Thanks for replying. I don't belive it is bumble foot this is a 4 week old chick. Plus I did give her antibiotics last week for 4 days. Today I picked off the scab and squeezeed it nothing is in there. Also I have started my own thread
sad.png
no one has replied on it. I did one last week when I thought it might be bummble foot. And then I stated one today. I am wondering if something bit her. But thank you so mich for replying and giving me the links I will read them.
Oh dear- the poor little thing! Only 4 weeks old!

But here- have a look at this link too and see if you see anything that helps:
http://www.apa-abayouthpoultryclub.... SYMPTOMS FOR DIAGNOSING POULTRY DISEASES.pdf

The other thing to check is that you have a rodent-proof coop. Only 1/2 inch hardware cloth will keep rats and weasels out, which kill chickens. You are thinking maybe something bit her...that is something to check...check for holes in the coop, through the floor if it is dirt, etc. - do you think it could be a snakebite? I would not have any idea of what a snakebite would look like on a foot.

The only other thing I can think of is that vitamin deficiencies can sometimes cause footpad dermatitis.
But I just don't know why your little one has this problem.

I hope she gets better soon!

Thanks for that link it could be helpfully in the future, although I hope not : / my coop has 9 inch deep concrete footers and 1/2 x 1/4 inch welded wire all the way from the ground to the roof. But these chicks were in my bathroom. I did take them out for a little bit to scratch around I am thinking a spider? I don't know its crazy. Here is a photo when it first happened or when I first noticed it

Back
Top Bottom